lent begins wednesday!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here it is, day 9 of lent.

I am doing fine, but my brothers hate my guts (I talked both of them into giving it up as well).

On Saturday, I am having both of them over to do a little filtering (and some dinner). Gonna be fun doing winery work without being able to take a sip.

John, I caved in......

Nooo!

I scheduled a day off as part of my negotiations with myself. Unfortunately, it was during the first weekend. :slp 5 weeks to go. Maybe I can just sleep through it.

I've been minimizing tinkering time in the lab though.

I have to admit that you guys inspired me to make a sacrifice for Lent. I really like wine so I decided to give up some (but not all) wines. Here is my list of the ones I have given up for the 40 days of Lent (and all the days thereafter).

Chateau Lafite, 1869 $232,692 per bottle
Chateau Margaux, 1787 $225,000 per bottle
Chateau Lafite, 1787 $160,000 per bottle
Chateau Mouton-Rothschild Jeroboam, 1945 $114,614 per bottle
Screaming Eagle Cab, 1994 $80,000 per bottle
Penfold Grange Hermitage, 1951 $56,988 per bottle
Chateau d'Y quem, 1784 $56,588 per bottle
Massandra Sherry, 1775 $43,500 per bottle
Romanee Cont, DRC, 1990 $28,112 per bottle
Montrachet, 1978 $23,929 per bottle

It has been a struggle so far, but I am bearing up well. It still amazes me what I am able to accomplish when I set my mind to it.

Rocky,

I worry about you. I do not think that you have the enormous amount of willpower that this takes.

So here is what I propose.. Send all of those wines to me and I will keep them nice and "safe" for you.

It would be a tough job, but what are friends for????

:)

I don't know about St. Patrick's Day but in my circle it is unheard of to fast on St. Joseph's day, March 19th.

downsized_0319001230.jpg

lent

Since March 19th falls on a Wednesday, fasting is not a problem. If you have given up something for lent like all pork and pork is what they are serving, it is acceptable to eat it as not to offend those giving what ever celebration it is. As one of my friends used to say, "just don't suck on the bones!"
Corinth

Since March 19th falls on a Wednesday, fasting is not a problem. If you have given up something for lent like all pork and pork is what they are serving, it is acceptable to eat it as not to offend those giving what ever celebration it is. As one of my friends used to say, "just don't suck on the bones!"
Corinth

So if I go to a friend's house and they are serving wine, it's OK for me to drink it? :i

BB,

Don't listen to them.

It is only for a short time. Think of it as "making a deposit at the bank upstairs".

It already has been 10 days.

You can do this.

No need to find a loophole. You ARE the master you your own domain!

Besides, no real friend of yours is going to be offended by your not having any wine. Real friends will support your efforts.

Besides, no real friend of yours is going to be offended by your not having any wine. Real friends will support your efforts.

This I agree with. On the other hand, I am going out to dinner tonight with some friends. Weeks and weeks ago, they scored hard-to-get reservations at an excellent new restaurant with a prix-fixe menu. When I agreed to go, Lent was the furthest thing from my mind. I intend to eat the meat, rather than make a big deal about fasting. (Which, I understand, I will not be doing.)

Edited to clarify: the link I made does not refer to anyone here. I meant it to refer to what *I* would be doing *IF* I made a big deal tonight about not eating the meat course.

Last edited:
BB,

Don't listen to them.

It is only for a short time. Think of it as "making a deposit at the bank upstairs".

It already has been 10 days.

You can do this.

I'm just messing around. :D As much as I might enjoy a glass of wine right now, my disappointment in myself would far outweigh any enjoyment. (and would probably indicate a much larger problem)

Like you said - ten days already. Do that three more times and its done!

Today my granddaughter was baptize, in a Catholic Church. I believe I mention that I was born and raised as a catholic but I am no longer one. Anyway my daughter-in-law is catholic plus her whole family. I was talking to her Mom, I am so fortune that I have a daughter-in-law that I am friends with her mother. Anyway she was telling me that Sundays is not part of lent so you can eat or drink whatever you gave up for lent on Sundays. She explained that lent was for 40 days and that does not include Sundays.

Do all of you who gave up something for know this?

Latest posts

Back