LALVIN RC 212

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.E.T.

Reaction score
FROM WHAT I READ THIS YEAST WORKS VERY WELL WITH BLACKBERRY. BUT THIS YEAST REQUIRES HIGHT NITROGEN NUTRIENT ADDITIONS TO AVOID THE POTENTIAL DEVELOMENT OF H2S. WHAT EVER THAT IS? IT DID NOT SAY HOW MUCH NITROGEN NUTRIENT TO USE. IS THIS THE SAME AS YEAST NUTRIENT? THERE WAS SOMETHING ABOUT FERMAX, I THINK THATS RIGHT DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS EITHER. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME HERE?

Fermax is a name brand of yeast nutrients and energizers which contains diammonium phosphate, dipottasium phosphate, magnesium sulphate, and autolyzed yeast. Supposedly it is better than the generic nutrients we use but who knows, I dont and so far Ive had o problems with the generics but then again Im no Robert Mondavi!

R.E.T.- What Wade said, and yes the high nitrogen nutrient is what we commonly call yeast nutrient. I raises the available nitrogen in the must and allows the yeast to work more efficiently and without developing off flavors and smells, hence the H2S. You don't need anything fancy just the normal stuff.

THANK YOU WADE AND APPLEMAN
I WAS WORRIES. BECAUSE I HAVE ABOUT 2LB. ON HAND.
YEAST NUTRIENT (UREA AND AMMONIUM PHOSPHATE)
I JUST GET TO THE POINT WHERE I THINK I KNOW I LITTLE BIT
ABOUT MAKING WINE AND SOME ONE THROWS ME CURVE BALL.
I GUESS I READ TO MUCH, I KNOW I CAN COMEHERE AND GET HELP

R.E.T. - H2S is hydrogen sulfide - rotten egg smell.

R.E.T, I like to add Nutrient at the rate of 1 tsp. per gallon and Energizer at the rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon and together this will give your yeast all the nitrogen it will need.

Latest posts

Back