Lable Making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
What do you use to make labels? My first labels I did in Photoshop then saved that as an image to use in Word for Avery labels. Not sure if that was the best way?
I just noticed Avery has software to download. This is a new PC and running perfectly and I hate to install stuff on it if it's not worth it.

Just got Avery 5263 2x4 labels for the port wine & 375ml bottles and 5264 3.33x4 for regular bottles. Staples didn't have removable in stock so I hope these are ok to take off later on. Haven't opened them yet if anyone says stay away from these.

May of us use the avery label program. Free down load. Easy on and easy soak off. You can keep the same photo or change for each label.

I use the Avery label template for Word, it works great. I use the 3.33 x 3.33 myself which is OL150. I use Photoshop and Picture It, mainly Picture it as PhotoShop is a little over my head with much of it.

I take a photograph of the fruit that I am making the wine with, or google a picture of it.

Next I put 4 frames on a sheet of paper in my wordprocessor. Put the pics in, add some text like alcohol content etc etc and then print that.

So 4 labels on a sheet of paper.
I cut them and glue them with milk.

Just put them upwards down on a table and wet them with milk. Next stick tem on the bottle.

Milk is a fantastic glue and when soaked in water the labels come off with no effort.

Find a fine example here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/appel-aardbeienwijn-apple.html

or here
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/12/merlot.html

Luc

Drink more (faster)...label less...

Actually I have been using gummed paper, with some software that my wife (graphic designer) has. printing on a regular ink jet and then spraying with a matte finish poly.

What do you think of this for a template?
I need to add the correct details. Do you just do the year bottled or month & year?

Please feel free to say it sucks or whatever. I am just playing around trying to come up with a nice label I can just change a couple things on easily. Just learned how to do layer masking in Photoshop.

Mueller-Thurgau.jpg

Port.jpg

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? I would be really proud to put those labels on my bottles any day! They are awesome. I add the date I bottle 04.04.2011 other's add the date they start the fermentation and then some just put the year the fruit was harvested and I believe thats what commercial wineries do. So tell me more about those labels. Are you going to have to cut each one out or are you finding labels cut like that. I would also come up with a name for your wine cellar which will personalize that wine to you.

"Shot in the Dark" is the name? I was going to put that into the Word Avery template to print out on the laser 3.33x4 labels.

I was thinking of doing the date as the time I started the batch. From kits it would be hard to tell what year the grapes are from right? Yes Wineries use the grape date.

I was thinking of also adding the BrewTrax batch ID so I could look it up later on if I had 2 or more of the same types.

Ok now I get the whole picture. I thought you were putting oval label on your bottles, I thought damn that looks cool. Now I see its just the picture and I still like it a lot. Awesome job.

Ok now I get the whole picture. I thought you were putting oval label on your bottles, I thought damn that looks cool. Now I see its just the picture and I still like it a lot. Awesome job.
That makes more sense about the label type. I would not want to cut those by hand.

Rob,
Print one out and cut it about the size of your label paper. The paper will give you a border. Just a thought Arne.

I personally think it's badazz. Definitely intriguing. When people say "Hey this is really good wine" you can reply...."Well it was just "a shot in the dark!" Thanks :br

Here they are with date changed, batch ID and a simple border.

What do think now? Is it a good label to keep or should I think of something different?

Mueller-Thurgau.jpg

Port.jpg

I love the broken bottle. Peter Sellers thing. I add to my labels the date the wine was started (year), ph, acid%, sulfite in ppm and the wine type obviously.

All this is just for my own personal reference. Good Job.

Latest posts

Back