Quantcast
Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

DCTWinemaker

Reaction score
Completed my first bottling, a Winexpert Cabernet Sauvignon Lodi II. In retrospect, I wish I had purchased new bottles. I saved my used wine bottles for about 6 months. Only thing I didn't count on was the variety of bottle shapes. I used a 3 1/2" x 5" label, which didn't work well with Burgundy bottles, as they wrinkle. The Bordeaux bottles were perfect. Used an Avery 94256 label and downloaded the MS Word template. Had to have a second printing as my gold border got cut off on one side due to alignment issues. Also bought a Wine Label Wizard on Amazon. It's basic but does help to keep the labels straight when adhering to the bottle.
CabLabel_Front.jpg CabLabel_Back.jpg WineLabeler.jpg

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Nice labels but I guess I don't spend as much time making my labels as you do. I tend to treat my labels less as a marketing tool and more to inform me and those I give my bottles to or with whom I share my wines about the key ingredients of the contents (I tend to make country wines or mead).

CDrew

California Garagiste
Reaction score
@DCTWinemaker-Good job on the labels. THey look great.

They put mine to shame which are either non-existent or blue painter's tape.

I totally agree about just buying bottles. For a year or so I religiously saved bottles but that is a huge pain and never again. I'll reuse a label free bottle but I'm not going through the pain of de-labeling for $7 a case.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nicely done! All the little steps are on a learning curve and get resolved with every new run.

I too use new bottles, we get locally, $7-$8 a case on a pallet, although the glass now has the 25% tariff in place. I buy the same bottle every year, which makes the boxes, labels, toppers consistent year to year and reuse the bottles that we consume (around 50% of the bottles).

crabjoe

Reaction score
Nice looking bottle! If I didn't know you made it at home, I would have thought it was store bought.

BTW, how do you like the Wine Label Wizard? I'm having a heck of a time trying to eyeball my labels.

crabjoe

Reaction score
Nicely done! All the little steps are on a learning curve and get resolved with every new run.

I too use new bottles, we get locally, $7-$8 a case on a pallet, although the glass now has the 25% tariff in place. I buy the same bottle every year, which makes the boxes, labels, toppers consistent year to year and reuse the bottles that we consume (around 50% of the bottles).
How many cases on a pallet? At the rate I keep making wine, I think I'm going to need a pallet of bottles... BTW, I', guessing 36 cases to a pallet?

DCTWinemaker

Reaction score
Nice looking bottle! If I didn't know you made it at home, I would have thought it was store bought.

BTW, how do you like the Wine Label Wizard? I'm having a heck of a time trying to eyeball my labels.
The wizard is not easy to use, but better than doing it by hand. I watched the YouTube video on how to use it. Once I put on the front label, I measure the space of the remaining glass, subtract the label width and then divide in half, to insure the spacing is even on both sides. I use a permanent black marker on the glass to approximate where the edge of the label should fall on the glass. I know it's a lot, but it's only 30 bottles and I do a few here and there when I'm in the mood.

Tom Martin

Reaction score
How many cases on a pallet? At the rate I keep making wine, I think I'm going to need a pallet of bottles... BTW, I', guessing 36 cases to a pallet?
I believe it is 96 case to a pallet, I am trying to find some locally in Colorado.