KV-1116 VS KV-1116 Dragons Blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks for that clarification! Because that color is delightful! Of course it would have to be nick named something else as it's no longer the colour of blood! But I would love to try to aim for colour like that! Did you have the deep freezer on the warmest setting? I would like to try it. Mine is empty ATM and fits 2-6 gallon fermenting pails perfectly!

I did something a little bit better than just sticking my pail into the deepreezer on the warmest temperature.

What I did was use a temperature controller that cycles the freezer on or off based on a set temperature value that I input. Thus freezer tries to maintain 55 degrees no matter what. You can buy one of these guys

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381088647&sr=8-2&keywords=temperature+controller

for like 75 bucks if you are like me and not very crafty or comfortable with electricity or you could make your own for less money. However, if you are mainly after the colour you really do not have to keep the tempature constant, just low.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much!! I'm excited to try it. So much fun experimenting! Thanks for the link as well... I'm. Im not too handy but DH is, but invisibly have to nag to get some awesome custom set up of something unless he sees a huge benefit or it was his idea!

Ha! Funny! I did read it but I obviously didn't remember what the results were but maybe now it's one to read it again. There was so much reading to do after that post that incidentally I forgot the pertinent info. Something made me decide to use EC-1118 though! What would your perceived notions be if the 71B-1122 were to be used at the same low temps as in Seth's experiment with the 1116?

Ok I just went and re-read the thread thanks for posting!! It was the bite and body you referred to as what caused you to still prefer the EC-1118. And what caused me to use it as I was intending to stick to original DB recipe! I'll be keeping a few bottles of this initial EC-1118 batch to compare to straight db recipe with no bananas and raisins and juice. Also... If I can keep it all long enough (I'll make more soon!), I would like to compare those two to a cold fermented batch with either 71b or k1v! :) it sure would be nice if ppl with different batches could get together for a taste testing to save some time on all these comparing experiments!

Last edited:
BTW, for any one single Dragons blood Aficionado, I am willing to send a hot and cold bottle to. First 3 people to respond will be put into a random drawing. The winner will receive a hot and cold bottle and will be invited to compare the differences.

seth8530 said:
BTW, for any one single Dragons blood Aficionado, I am willing to send a hot and cold bottle to. First 3 people to respond will be put into a random drawing. The winner will receive a hot and cold bottle and will be invited to compare the differences.

I'm interested! But is it even possible to ship to Canada? :)

Count me one of the three, for sure, Seth! I'd be happy to give you my take on these two.

Alright, your next task is to send me your addresses in a PM, just in case it turns out the shipping cost would make it unfeasible for me to ship it. Also, who do yall recommend I use for shipping this. UPS had rates that looked to be around 30$

If michjen has not tried Dragon Blood, then you should send it to her, Seth. She'll be a new convert then! :hug

Well, I would be more than willing to send it to her, but I am not sure how much canada shipping cost from the US or how to check that. Any Ideas?

Nope I have never tried it! Always wanted to taste it see what it's like:)

I suppose you could package it up and take it to the post office for a quote in the weight....

ckvchestnut and Michjen, I have come to the realization that it is not really feasible for me to ship these guys off to Canada so I am going to have to go ahead and send it off to Danger. Thank you for your interest and I really wish I could of sent yall a bottle.

Thanks,
Seth

Well, I was fortunate to be the recipient of a bottle of each of these wines. One from the "cold" batch and one from the "hot".

I have to say, bravo!, Seth. Both of these DB's are excellent! You should be proud. The wife and I enjoyed them very much. There were noticeable diffences, for sure. But they were wonderful differences, indeed! The hot batch maintained the slightly sharper, subtly tart characteristic that I have come to recognize as classic Dragon Blood. The berry flavor is full and prominent. My wife refered to it as a "bold fruity blush". The cold batch was far more ethereal, having a profound berry aroma and a smooth, mellow taste. The balance was perfect! There are other differences between what I produce with the EC-1118, and Seth's results with the KV-1116. It's interesting to compare the two side by side in several variations.

On a more personal note, Seth's DB appeared to be less sweet than what I usually make. As a result, my lovely wife, Johnna, suggested I try less sugar in my next batch. Considering I started out using six cups of sugar in six gallons, and have since reduced it to 4.5, we are heading in the right direction.

Thank you, Seth for the chance to compare recipes. After making lots of DB for two plus years, I am finally making some positive changes to the original.

Well, I was fortunate to be the recipient of a bottle of each of these wines. One from the "cold" batch and one from the "hot".

I have to say, bravo!, Seth. Both of these DB's are excellent! You should be proud. The wife and I enjoyed them very much. There were noticeable diffences, for sure. But they were wonderful differences, indeed! The hot batch maintained the slightly sharper, subtly tart characteristic that I have come to recognize as classic Dragon Blood. The berry flavor is full and prominent. My wife refered to it as a "bold fruity blush". The cold batch was far more ethereal, having a profound berry aroma and a smooth, mellow taste. The balance was perfect! There are other differences between what I produce with the EC-1118, and Seth's results with the KV-1116. It's interesting to compare the two side by side in several variations.

On a more personal note, Seth's DB appeared to be less sweet than what I usually make. As a result, my lovely wife, Johnna, suggested I try less sugar in my next batch. Considering I started out using six cups of sugar in six gallons, and have since reduced it to 4.5, we are heading in the right direction.

Thank you, Seth for the chance to compare recipes. After making lots of DB for two plus years, I am finally making some positive changes to the original.

Thank you for the extremely thoughtful review. I appreciate all of your comments and I am very glad you enjoyed. I take a certain level of pride knowing that the originator of dragons blood seriously enjoyed my take on the recipe.

If you had to choose one of the either my hot or my cold as your every day drinker which one would you choose? Or perhaps you would drink one or the other based on the occasion? I might have to end up sending one of these off to competition just to see how it does. ( not that I use competition as my primary wine making benchmark)

My wife and I both liked the hot version better. I think that was mostly due to it being similar (realively speaking) to my original. I have tried various yeasts, but we both still like the result of the EC-1118 the best. I need to send you a bottle of mine so you can see how mine usually turns out.

Given our combined research (you and I), I will be making my recipe with EC-1118 yeast, room temp ferment, and a little less sugar.

Again, thanks for your efforts, Seth.

I would be interested in trying one of your styles and seeing how it is different from mine. I think it is interesting that you liked the hot version of mine better than the cold because I like the cold a lot better than my hot one. All in all I think it is nice fun to see what things different people like better.

Latest posts

Back