Kool Aide????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Roads

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding something to give my strawberry wine a real strawberry flavor. Has anyone ever used strawberry cool aide:a1 Everything else that I see has a variety of fruits with the strawberrys. I have already used and F-Pac of 25% of the oringial amount of strawberrys I made the wine with. It still seems rather flat.:a1

I used strawberry Kool Aid [unsweetened] to kick up the color & flavor of my Strawberry Skeeter Pee. It worked, but I added it way too close to bottling & it settled out in the bottles. I now have to shake the SP before serving, still tastes & looks good! Roy

I used strawberry Kool Aid [unsweetened] to kick up the color & flavor of my Strawberry Skeeter Pee. It worked, but I added it way too close to bottling & it settled out in the bottles. I now have to shake the SP before serving, still tastes & looks good! Roy

How much of that do you generally use, Roy? Add and taste?

Do you have a restaurent supply store nearby? If so look for sugar free Strawberry "coffee" flavoring. Its in a 25oz bottle. Same kind you see at 7-11 to squirt in the coffee

Is it good to make the f-pac out of the frozen juice from your grocer's freezer, especially if you made the wine out of Welch's? Just make it as strong as needed?

If the wine is 'flat', I would look at acid before adding kool-aid. Getting the acid right will have the effect of 'peaking' the flavor; assuming you're starting with a low acid wine. I wouldn't describe a high acid wine as 'flat' so I'm guessing you're low ...

Spoiled Rotten, I used 3 packets per 5 gals. for the SP. If I was doing wine I would do an F-Pac of strawberries or use the syrup like suggested. I take more chances with my "Pee" than I do with my wine! Roy

I don't think too early bottling was the problem. I added one pack to 6 gallons of my candy cane wine 4-5 weeks ago and still had some floaties. I did dissolve before adding. I racked today and will see what happans in another month. Of course I'm sure filtration will take care of it also.

Kool Aide???

I should be able to get the coffee flavoring. I just really wanted it to burst with strawberry flavor. The fruit that we get here leaves something to be desired taste wise. Is it a strawberry??? Yah, but does it taste like one Nah.:?

Do you have a restaurent supply store nearby? If so look for sugar free Strawberry "coffee" flavoring. Its in a 25oz bottle. Same kind you see at 7-11 to squirt in the coffee

I have used chocolate, vanilla, and raspberry torani syrups before. They come in sugar free or regular varieties in about a billion flavors. I add them to my f-packs to taste. They sell it in strawberry ;)

If the wine is 'flat', I would look at acid before adding kool-aid. Getting the acid right will have the effect of 'peaking' the flavor; assuming you're starting with a low acid wine. I wouldn't describe a high acid wine as 'flat' so I'm guessing you're low ...

One of the main ingredients in Kool-aid is citric acid. So adding it would increase acid along with color and flavor.

Should let em know in Hastings, Ne. we have found a new use for Kool aid. It was born in Hastings and they havin a Kool aid days thing this weekend. Bet not many of the kool aid people have heard of bumping up wine with a package. Last strawberry I made, was with a bucket of strawberries I bought at a grocery store. Weighed em out when I got home. Had 20 lb. of strawberries and 10 lb of juice. Made a 5 gal. batch with the 20 lb. When it got done fermenting and was stabalized, dumped the 10 lb. of juice in. It has a great strawberry flavor. Had a terrible time getting it to clear. Was fairly clear but still had a haze. Tried many things but finally bottled it. When bottled the haze fell out in a couple of days. It is pretty clear tho, before drinking a quick shake of the bottle and the sediment leaves. It doesn't affect the flavor and you really do not see it in a glass. Guess I should invest in a filter. Arne.

Kool Aide?????

Thanks for the advise. I did make an F-pac, but maybe I should have added more strawberrys to it. Anyway, I will be looking for the coffee syrup.

I made a 3 gallon batch of Strawberry Niagara and couldn't get the strawberry flavor I wanted. I added 2 cans of frozen Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiri Mixer. Tastes like strawberry now!!!

Latest posts

Back