EC1118-Home Brew Juice from Store

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question. My original reading for a musk is 1.150 with a calibrated Hydrometer. Used Another one Calibrated just a bit difference in calibration temp. and Both had the same reading. Given a a bit of room for an off reading doesn't that seem high before yeast is pitched? Just Sugar was added and og gravitiy/Brix were taken Fermentation is ROLLING at 75-80 Faren controlled climate. Given this is a lab made Yeast and nutrient pitch with local vineyard juice (merlot) my word this is going to be black out stupid high alcohol content correct? They even want me to take readings (FermPro) But I do not want to interrupt the fermentation to take a reading. I am 3 days in during an attempt to go dry within 7 days... Any Feedback would be much appreciated.
The OG seems high, but it could be accurate, depending on what the juice's SG was and how much sugar you added. It could also be that you didn't have the sugar stirred in well, and found a dense spot.

Sugar doesn't necessarily blend in easily. A while back I spot checked numerous batches, building the must one day (grapes, juice, kits, fruit) and recording the SG 3 times from different places in the bucket, and taking an average.

The following morning I stirred again, and checked SG in 3 places, taking an average. Roughly 90% of the time the SG was different the following morning, usually by a few "points", but in one case by 10.

This told me a few things, including the fact that some things don't blend easily and that I don't stir as well as I thought I did. My take-away is that if any of the first-days readings is off by more than 0.001 from the others, the must needs to be stirred better.

At this point, there's no telling how well you stirred the sugar in, so it's all conjecture.

What is the current SG?

Last edited:
No need for snarky replies to a new member...Excellent way to make me feel welcome and Donate.. Have a good day Sir.
Your game can go nowhere but up.

Quite whining, you yourself said "we call it closet Trash here and drink it at parties etc I am just looking to up my game." You can hardly complain about my comment, based on yours.

Last edited:
Quite whining, you yourself said "we call it closet Trash here and drink it at parties etc I am just looking to up my game." You can hardly complain about my comment, based on yours.
I am in NO WAY whining. And Yes I made that statement about a certain batch but this is different when I am actually listing measuring amounts and listing things used in the process with actual juice used from a recognized award winning Winery and asking questions with a Informed and looking for an Informed answer Sir. I am Looking to learn.. Are you looking to turn a nose up at me and keep me from trying to learn? Your sound like someone that I wouldn't enjoy hanging out with or learning from. If that is the case Please move along Sir.

REGARDS,
Brain

The OG seems high, but it could be accurate, depending on what the juice's SG was and how much sugar you added. It could also be that you didn't have the sugar stirred in well, and found a dense spot.

Sugar doesn't necessarily blend in easily. A while back I spot checked numerous batches, building the must one day (grapes, juice, kits, fruit) and recording the SG 3 times from different places in the bucket, and taking an average.

The following morning I stirred again, and checked SG in 3 places, taking an average. Roughly 90% of the time the SG was different the following morning, usually by point a few "points", but in one case by 10.

This told me a few things, including the fact that some things don't blend easily and that I don't stir as well as I thought I did. My take-away is that if any of the first-days readings is off by more than 0.001 from the others, the must needs to be stirred better.

At this point, there's no telling how well you stirred the sugar in, so it's all conjecture.

What is the current SG?
I do not want to interrupt the ferm to take another reading. I am guessing it will go dry in 3-5 more days at the rate this airlock is singing and bubbles etc. I will take another reading on the 30th. Thanks for actually giving a informed answer. Unlike others I have met on here.

Brain

I am in NO WAY whining. And Yes I made that statement about a certain batch but this is different when I am actually listing measuring amounts and listing things used in the process with actual juice used from a recognized award winning Winery and asking questions with a Informed and looking for an Informed answer Sir. I am Looking to learn.. Are you looking to turn a nose up at me and keep me from trying to learn? Your sound like someone that I wouldn't enjoy hanging out with or learning from. If that is the case Please move along Sir.

REGARDS,
Brain
I am sorry I offended you, we should go about our business.

1.150 is extremely high ,, EC1118 might ferment to 18% ,,, most wine yeast will stop at 15 to 16% ABV.

From this point 1) let it naturally run down and have a sweet wine,, this might balance with more acid (taste better). 2) add water/ acid/ nutrient to get into a range where the yeast might ferment dry. 3) add extra nutrient and hope that this can push the original yeast to ferment to dry. (Fermcalc can let you plug in yeast and sugar and existing nutrient to come up with what is theoretically required.

Latest posts

Back