Kmeta addition before or after primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommBomb

Reaction score
Ive made several batches of fruit wine now and it seems some of you out there add kmeta before pitching the yeast and some do after the primary fermentation is complete. Ive been told and agree that kmeta can add some off flavors and aromas if put in before the fermentation. How many of you use it before or after and please tell me your thoughts and experiences if you don't mind. Im trying to improve the fruit wine i make.

TommBomb, adding k-meta in before pitching yeast is meant to kill any wild yeasts that may be on the fruit. You can then choose the yeast you prefer for the fruit. Many people do this with fresh grapes as well. Adding k-meta after fermentation is to protect against oxidation.

kmeta is usually added prefermentation to kill any wild bacteria or yeast that may be on the fruit. Normally you wait between kmeta dosage and adding other enzymes and yeast. Post fermentation kmeta additions are also to keep bacteria in check and actually absorb any oxygen in wine. Normal additions are 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons each time you rack. I follow procedure of rack when fermentation complete, wait three days, rack from gross lees add kmeta, wait three weeks, rack from fine lees, add kmeta, wait three months wine to clear, add kmeta before bottling. if you want to age longer, add kmeta each time you rack.

Sal, do you ever check SO2 levels in your wine? I think you may find them on the high side if you do. I usually add 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons of wine at stabilization (fermentation is complete). I normally bulk age whites for 6 months and reds for 12 months or so. During this time, I might add 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons every 4 months, max. I like to shoot for 30 to 40 ppm free SO2. What is your target level?

Are you guys just dumping the k-meta into the wine and mixing or is there a more involved method that is recommended?

Thanks...

I like to draw out about 100 ml of wine with a wine thief into a flask and dissolved the k-meta in the wine. Then, I mix it into the rest of the wine. You can do it either way but I like to know that it is dissolved.

I like to draw out about 100 ml of wine with a wine thief into a flask and dissolved the k-meta in the wine. Then, I mix it into the rest of the wine. You can do it either way but I like to know that it is dissolved.

Are certain you don't draw 200ml... 100 for you and 100 for dissolving the k-meta? :dg

Makes sense, thanks...

I sued t test for SO2 levels and found that it was below desired level faster than you would think, sometime within a month. I have sued the 1/4 tsp dosage for both 5 and 6 gallon carboys without ill affect. I usually double check before bottling for proper level. I have relocated to an independent living residence and sold all of my wine equipment. I used a Hanna titrator before but plan to purchase a Vinmetrica once ready to start wine making again.
This is off topic but did I see somewhere that Vinemetrica was developing a malic acid measurement method?

thanks guys, that reconfirmed alot of my fragile knowledge base. Do you think adding k meta pre fermentation is necessary? Do any of you think kmeta prior to fermentation may lead to off flavors or aromas? I have an sc 300 and do test for ph and so2, so ive been getting an average of 50 or so after fermenatation is complete.

Latest posts

Back