K-Meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
I have a completely ridiculous newbie question...

What is K-Meta? Is it different than Potassium Metabisulfite? I am getting ready to bulk age my first Cab Sauv kit (for only 3 months) and did not know if I should be adding one or the other (if different).

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

The chemical symbol for Potassium is 'K.' Hence, K-Meta. It's all one in the same and you're fine.

Sodium Metabisulfite (Na-Meta) would be different and could leave a salty-flavor in your wine.

- Jim

Thanks for asking Pracz...I learned from your post also!

My sanitizer says: sodium metabisulfate.

MaineGal, the sodium metabisulfite works fine for a sanitizer and is a bit less expensive. That one is called Na-Meta as Jim said.

lol.. So grateful for this forum.... Many of these chemicals sound alike... Thanks Appleman!

As an aside here, anyone concerned with sodium intake (and who shouldn't be these days with all the salt loaded up in our foods) if you use the potassium flavored version its one less source of sodium in your diet.

Every little bit can add up especially if you have hypertension.

ibglowin said:
As an aside here, anyone concerned with sodium intake (and who shouldn't be these days with all the salt loaded up in our foods) if you use the potassium flavored version its one less source of sodium in your diet.

Every little bit can add up especially if you have hypertension.

Unless you are on a Potassium sparing diuretic for hypertension, in which case you have to watch out for too much Potassium also
smiley5.gif

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get Potassium Metabisulphite from my local homebrew store. Instead, I've been using 5 campden tables with 5 teaspoons of Potassium Sorbate for stablising a 5 gallon batch (US 6 gallons). Have I done anything wrong?
smiley26.gif

I don't think you have done anything wrong but I think the recommended dose of Potassium Sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon!

well... YES !
Sorbate is added at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or 2 1/2 teaspoons for 5 gallons/ You doubled it.
There are alot of places online (http://www.finevinewines.com/)that you can get the supplies you cant get locally. This is how I get most of mine.

I have just read the instructions - it says 1 small level teaspoon. Should have paid attention to the "small" bit, as I put in one teaspon per gallon. Oh well!
smiley36.gif

Since we are on the topic of k-meta and s-meta, is there any way to neutralize these chemicals while in the wine, or ingredients?
For example, lemon juice concentrate contains s-meta. Since both inhibit yeast growth, this would be a help in making some wines.

barryjo said:
Since we are on the topic of k-meta and s-meta, is there any way to neutralize these chemicals while in the wine, or ingredients?
For example, lemon juice concentrate contains s-meta. Since both inhibit yeast growth, this would be a help in making some wines.
S-meta? Presumably you mean Na-mets, aka sodium metabisulfite.

K is the chemical abbrev for potassium
Na is the chem abbrev for sodium.

Steve

The sulfites, K-meta and Na-meta, react with oxygen. Tap water is highly aerated, so it has lots of oxygen in it. Dilution with tap water is usually sufficient to a)dilute the sulfite level, and b)neutrailze enough that the sulfite level is low enough for most wine yeast.

Latest posts

Back