K meta every 3 months or Accuvin test strips?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
Will the 10 pack Accuvin Free SO2 test strips allow me a more precise reading versus the blanket 1/4 tspn of k meta every 90 days during bulk aging? Or should I just save the money for the test strips and trust the general dosage suggested? Thanks.

Scott, IMO testing is always better than a "general rule" type of regimen that is based on an "average." Remember, you can drown in a lake that has an average depth of 2 feet if you step into a hole that is 40 feet deep.

Although I agree that every 3 months is too often after testing accurately with the Hanna unit there still is no rule of thumb for time as different wines and different cellar conditions along with different Ph's for wines really determine when its needed. At minimal I would get the Accuvin test. Its not totally accurate but is WAYYYYYYYYYYY better then winging it. We as home winemakers either overdose our wines with KMeta or are way under where they should be leaving our investment in a risky atmosphere!

SO2 levels depend on wine type (white or red) and pH. The add every 3 months is just that an average. I have gone as long as 6 months on a red and still be just fine with the packet of K-Meta that came with the kit.....

Back