Adding k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just degassed my first batch of wine (WE Vintner's Reserve Pinot Gris). I did a taste test, and it wasn't too bad! There is a lot of sediment at the bottom of the carboy (about an inch), which I mixed back into the wine with one of those drill mounted 3-arm wine whips. Took me about an hour to fully degas. In 2 weeks, I plan to rack the wine to the primary pail, and filter it back to the carboy. Some people suggest adding 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta before bottling, or every 3 months during bulk aging. What is the reason for that? I really don't want my wine to have any sort of sulphur taste.

you should rack immediately off of any sediment in the carboy. I would presume the kit instructions probably directed you to do this before trying to degass.
Also add 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta to wine after racking. this also should have been one of the additive directed for use in the kit and instructions. the kmeta keeps bacteria at bay and also scavenges oxygen. 1/4 teaspoon is about 50ppm, sulfur smell has to reach at least five times that before detectable. follow the instructions from the kit or you work will only result in bad wine.

you should rack immediately off of any sediment in the carboy. I would presume the kit instructions probably directed you to do this before trying to degass.
Also add 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta to wine after racking. this also should have been one of the additive directed for use in the kit and instructions. the kmeta keeps bacteria at bay and also scavenges oxygen. 1/4 teaspoon is about 50ppm, sulfur smell has to reach at least five times that before detectable. follow the instructions from the kit or you work will only result in bad wine.

Actually, Sal the "new" WinExpert instructions direct you NOT to rack before degassing:

NOTE: Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and fining. This kit requires that you stir the sediment back into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment prior to fining may permanently prevent clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from
the bottom.

I personally ignore those instructions, and rack before stabilizing and fining. But I am sure it works okay either way.

my bad!. I also donot like to see sediment longer than three days in a carboy regardless if a kit or from grapes. sediment can give off odors.

Just racked a wine Expert Eclipse Columbia Valley Riesling off the lees. I also wondered about stirring up the gross lees but followed the directions. I reasoned that it was a form of batttonage, albeit brief. The smell and taste at this point is quite good so I think the stirring has something to do with overall flavor.
After it was stirred, stabilized and fined it has cleared beautifully.

Terry

Latest posts

Back