Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I do.
The reason is I find the juices are to thin for me hence the raisens. I get them @ Sams Club in the 2 pac.
Oak is to your taste but all reds will benifit in adding oak.

Just a thought. I was searching around.... raisins vs tannin ? Any thoughts? Is it the same or not ?

Raisins do have some tannin. I would not add just for tannin though. If adding tannin I use the chestnut extract powder

Just picked up seven gallons of cider for my Apple Pie wine. It was $4.00 a gallon but with your own bucket it was only $3.25. Sure beats the heck out of a new cider mill that just opened up in town that wanted $5.75 gallon.

I have about 1 1/2 inches to the top of my juice bucket. Do you think thats enough room after the yeast is added? I really dont want to see it on the floor :(

I have about 1 1/2 inches to the top of my juice bucket. Do you think thats enough room after the yeast is added? I really dont want to see it on the floor :(
Yes BUT just lay the lid on top
Keep an eye on it

I will be picking up a bucket of Montepulciano. Would this benefit from MLF?

This also really depends on which yeast you use and what temps you keep it at. Some yeasts are high foamers and if at the higher end of the temp range it can easily foam way over depending on the yeasts used.

ok I'm not feeling that brave....... split it in half, lots of room now :db

I racked all my california juices over the weekend. Everything fermented to .992 - .994 .

The Chablis at last racking appeared to be lacking much flavor, this time around, the flavor seems to have improved greatly.

Malvasia and J Reising taste wonderful so far. I may sweeten the Malvasia a little.

Both the Merlot and Pinot Noir I had 1 spiral of American Oak for 2 months. Oak flavor is very mild as we intended it to be. Good flavor from both of those. The Ruby Cabernet has good flavor but I may back sweeten this just a tad. Thinking maybe take it to around 1.000.

Of course!. It's your wine. I'm not sure what the profile is but sweeten to your taste. If you do I would not enter it in a competition.

Of course!. It's your wine. I'm not sure what the profile is but sweeten to your taste. If you do I would not enter it in a competition.

No plans of entering any competitions. We have time to decide. I won't need carboys until the Chilean juice comes in May. I'll be hoping for some suggestions from the more experienced on here then.

Make simple syrup 1st.

Slowly add and use degassing tool to mix. Repeat till you like the taste, then write down the gravity for future.

Make simple syrup 1st.

Slowly add and use degassing tool to mix. Repeat till you like the taste, then write down the gravity for future.

I'm aware of that. I was referring to suggestions on what to consider in the way of chilean juices when they are available in May. Sorry for the confusion.

I find they are thin. So, you can;
get a lug of grapes if available
Get Cab skins from George
add 2# of raisins
add banana soup
I add 2+ cups of med toast oak and MLF all reds

Does anyone know of a seller in the Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio/Illinois area? If not, is there a resource for me to find a seller? I'd like to get 25 or so gallons and think it may be cheaper to drive.

Latest posts

Back