The dreaded black rot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winer15425

Junior
Reaction score
I live in SW PA and have tried various varieties of grapes and everyone gets black rot. Right now my entire crop is gone! I did spray a little too late but it did not seem to help. What can I do? Is it possible that my ground cannot grow grapes? I am ready to tear them out and plant flowers. Thanks.

I had major black rot issues till I was pointed towards Mancozeb. It is a 60 day PHI so you need to treat early. Other fungicides I have don’t work as well. So far the two drought years I have had grapes the black rot hasn’t been bad.
The Japanese beetles aren’t as bad in drought years. I kinda like grapes in a drought, its a lot easier.

I use mancozeb too, from 1/2“ shoots to fruit set. I mix in JMS stylet oil also, then only stylet oil until harvest. I use a cold fogger to get a good and thorough coating by misting. I initially spray when shoots are 1/2”, 1 1/2”, 3”, then every week to 10 days. I’ve had so many JB that I spread nematodes a few years ago and that has helped quite a bit. They also don’t like the stylet oil so much.

Then later there’s the squirrels, raccoons… last year some hawks took up a nest and the smaller animals that like to take one bite from each piece of fruit or vegetable in the garden have disappeared…

Latest posts

Back