Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backsweetening

I back sweetened my Malvasia to 1.004, the Johannesburg Reisling to .998 and the Ruby Cabernet to 1.000. All are very apealing to my taste at this point. The Malvasia was a little on the tart side which was to be expected based on descriptions I have heard of it. The Ruby Cab was good at .992, but I felt it could be a little sweeter. I know a Johannesburg Reisling is supposed to be dry, and the 2 we recently purchased were at .992-.994, however both my wife an I agreed it needed to be sweetened a bit. I believe .998 is Semi-dry/Semi-sweet?

Personally I leave the Reisling alone. The grapes I feel are sweet wnough. Remember it can be sweet withought adding sugar.

Yes I do alot of juice Reisling is 1 of them

I myself like Riesling a little on the sweeter side although I did leave my last batch very dry which was the Johan. and everyone raved about it but it was a little dry for me.

Doug, How long you are you going to bulk age that before you bottle? I'm thinking of bottling mine at 6 months.

Doug, How long you are you going to bulk age that before you bottle? I'm thinking of bottling mine at 6 months.

I got this juice in September, I'm figuring on bottleing around March-April which would be 6-7 months in total. THis is only because I'll need the carboys for the Chilean Juice that arrives in May. That batch will only age about 4 months prior to bottling unless I get more carboys before then.

I'm planning on picking more up with tax return and I've also been watching Craigs list. I had a pretty good score last year and shared the find with a couple other members. Hoping to come across another find like that again.

I do 6-7 months for whites, 12 months for reds. Yes I have enough carboys to do this. I still have my Chilean reds aging.

I do 6-7 months for whites, 12 months for reds. Yes I have enough carboys to do this. I still have my Chilean reds aging.

I'm working towards this goal. I'm guessing I'll probably pick up 2-3 more carboys the end of Spring then hopefully some more later. If I could get 4-5 more in total I think I would be okay for the most part.

Info from Consumers Produce Pittsburgh PA

We are working on the Chilean products now. It will be late April by the time they arrive. The web site should have pricing posted by the 1st of February at that time you may place orders. The ordering window will close on March 25th. I expect to have an announcement go out next week.

Info from Consumers Produce Pittsburgh PA

We are working on the Chilean products now. It will be late April by the time they arrive. The web site should have pricing posted by the 1st of February at that time you may place orders. The ordering window will close on March 25th. I expect to have an announcement go out next week.

Where did you see that posted or was it an email?

Looks like I'll be bottling end of March through middle of April then. I'll probably be looking to pick up 6+ buckets of Chilean Juice again.

I back sweetened my Malvasia to 1.004, the Johannesburg Reisling to .998 and the Ruby Cabernet to 1.000. All are very apealing to my taste at this point. The Malvasia was a little on the tart side which was to be expected based on descriptions I have heard of it. The Ruby Cab was good at .992, but I felt it could be a little sweeter. I know a Johannesburg Reisling is supposed to be dry, and the 2 we recently purchased were at .992-.994, however both my wife an I agreed it needed to be sweetened a bit. I believe .998 is Semi-dry/Semi-sweet?

also have a ruby cab which I started in Oct. I find it too bitter and harsh. It is at .990. I like to back sweeten my ruby cab. What did you use to do it and how much of it? I was thinking of blending it with a merlot i have, which is at 1.ooo.

Thanks

Back sweetening is done by adding simple syrup.
Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.
Heat water, add sugar, whisk over heat till dissolved, cool. Add to the wine to YOUR taste. Mix well with a degassing tool before tasting each time.

Blending should be done before back sweetening.

Back sweetening is done by adding simple syrup.
Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water.
Heat water, add sugar, whisk over heat till dissolved, cool. Add to the wine to YOUR taste. Mix well with a degassing tool before tasting each time.

Blending should be done before back sweetening.

Exactly as Tom said. I back sweetened to around .998. I believe I used just under a 1 1/2 cup of sugar for 5 1/2 gallon batch.

Already place my order, can't wait. The 4 I picked up in September are coming along quite nicely. Have to make room for these though. :d:d

Just got an email from Consumers. They will be recieving juice between May 4 and May 10 and will be available for pick up until that time. Orders will be taken online until March 25th.

New with juice

I bought my first pail of chilean juice and plan on bulk aging for maybe a year. I picked up some medium oak cubes, how long should I let it age with the oak cubes? would the whole year be too much?

Latest posts

Back