Isinglass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Per the WE kit instructions, I'm using isinglass to clarify a Viognier. Does anyone know if temp is an issue? The reason I ask is because after three days I haven't noticed much in the way of clarification. I used Super Kleer with a Sauvignon Blanc several weeksa ago, and the results were dramatic after the first day. But it's a bit cooler in the garage now.

I really appreciate everyone for taking the time to respond to my myriad of questions.

Ken

Agreed. I used Isinglass in a batch of Kumquat Mead that was very slow clearing, I added the agent and it didn't change any after 3-4 days. It then cleared to crystal clear overnight.

There is an issue with temps as it should be around the 70* area. Clearing without a fining agent works better with colder temps but the fining agents need warmer temps.

I thought that after stabilizing it was OK for the temperature to be in the low to mid sixties. I always keep the fermentation around 70 degrees and move it to the wine storage room where it is cooler.

Is this OK?

The clearing stages require high 60's- mid 70's if using some fining agents. If using just time to clear your wine colder temps are actually better. Degassing your wine takes mid 70's to properly degas your wine also.

Would the schedule work OK like this as far as temperature is concerned:
Primary Fermentation: mid 70's (5-7 days)

Secondary Fermentation: mid 70's (around 3 weeks)

Stabilize, De-Gas, Clarify, De-Gas mid 60's (around 3-4 weeks)

Rack

Age in Carboy: mid to low 60's (around 6-8 weeks)

Time is your best clearing agent. Last weekend I had a new winery ask me how I got my wine so clear. He asked what type of filter I use and I replied "Time". Most wines given enough time and rackings clear brilliantly without additional chemicals or fining agents.

What an awesome reply. "Time" seems to be a wines best friend.
smiley2.gif

Alright now, everyone together, the old Stones' song, sing it! "Tiiiiime is on my side, yes it is..."

Okay, decision time for both my Viognier and Sangiovese. The V is a WE kit that came with Isinglass. The kit says to allow 8 days for clarification and then rack off the lees. The S is a MM all juice kit that came with Siligel and Liquigel. It also allows 8 days for clarification. Tomorrow will be 8 days for both, but neither has cleared. This could be due to being in the garage for the first 4 days where the temps range from 48-60. I've moved them both back into the house where they've been for the past 3 days. On Sat, I'm going on a 10 day trip. So here's my question: Should I rack both wines off the lees tomorrow before I go (day 8) or just leave them alone until I return? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

I would just leave them until you return. They will probably be clear by then with the higher temps. If all else fails(unlikely) you can use Super-Kleer later.

Latest posts

Back