Is wine tasting BS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can always taste in the wine, how the vitner struggles everyday in the care of his vines. Whether a dove flew by the grapes during a rainstorm, and how the chickens were startled by the backfiring of the backhoe two farms down!!!

Well, I know my brother drank a bottle of "sweet red muscadine", the other evening, then tasted mine. Said mine was better, had more flavor and a better mouth feel. Made me feel good since the bottle in question was a 20.00 from Dublin winery in NC.

Well, I found this article (and especially the responses) hilarious. Yes, it was not totally unfounded and not totally accurate either. [I probably should just stop here.] Long rant to follow.

However, I must continue. I know there is a lot of bs out there about wine. Fortunately, I don't see that on this board. Like others of us, I take Wine Spectator (WS) but that makes me neither an expert nor a snob. The marketing hype in wine is sufficiently high that it probably deserves some of this kind of shellacking in the linked article.

Wine Spectator is a pre-eminent journal that covers winemakers and wineries, and evaluates many many wines. It could be said to represent the worst of what this negative article criticizes. But the WS editorials make it very clear that everyone is not at the same level when it comes to tasting and evaluating wine (duh!). They also reinforce the idea that I have always believed and that is that YOU ARE THE EXPERT REGARDING THE WINE YOU LIKE.

HOW you decide to describe wine is really up to you. Between just us, the fancier you get the more skeptical I become. But, really, the tasting/smelling capability of humans varies much and even the best of them requires training. I notice that many of the best trained do not resort to overly fanciful descriptions.

The WS expert tasters know what the varietal is they are judging and that is all. They don't see the label, know the brand, its price, nor its region of origin. And of course they don't all agree either so the numerical score they come up with is an average of the evaluating judges.

I believe quantitative ratings by these experts are good guideposts for wine drinkers in general and for us home winemakers as well. I am a value wine person. I like to buy the wines they rate in the high 80s and low 90s, especially when they are reasonably priced. That helps me know what flavor profile I should be shooting for in each varietal I am making and gives me a benchmark of sorts. Hey, it works for me -- your mileage may vary.

NS

Seems to me that all judgements about best, better, good , blah are going to be very personal and capricious. That applies to wines or whiskeys or beers or movies or songs or novels or paintings. Judging wines based on specific criteria seems to me to be quite different. I have no problem believing that a dozen people who spend their professional lives producing specific taste qualities would be able to easily identify those same criteria when asked to blind taste a wine. At the same time I have no problem believing that a dozen people who claim to be connoisseurs who then justify their preferences in terms of idiosyncratic criteria that they create to justify their preferences are going to be capricious, inconsistent, and self contradictory and to have very different preferences from one another other.
In addition, when people choose for whatever reason to depict characteristics metaphorically rather than based on the ways we make sense of color and taste and texture then their ability to reproduce those metaphors when the same characteristics are evident or to identify which characteristics apply to those metaphors is likely to result in howling inconsistency (in the academic world of social research this process is called "coding"and we struggle to code raw data consistently and accurately). But the problem is that for the vast, vast majority of us we have very, very limited vocabularies based on what we taste or smell or feel with our mouths and we have very limited ability (because of lack of real experience) to be aware of differences (white is white is white until you have spent a few hours looking at paint chips).

I can always taste in the wine, how the vitner struggles everyday in the care of his vines. Whether a dove flew by the grapes during a rainstorm, and how the chickens were startled by the backfiring of the backhoe two farms down!!!

damn, you're good:br

a friend brought over a bottle of wine the other...she says she is expert on wine....lol
I explained she was not...so
I blindfolded her...gave her a sample of hers
then gave her a sample of mine, that is 4 weeks old.
guess which she said was best...
it was not the one with a 13.99 label on it.
I can id canadian club whiskey out of 100 different whiskeys.
But then, I have probably drank 150 bottles over the last 10 years.

Peter Lorre and Vincent Price "Tales of terror" Now these guys know wines.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgnBhqJJFo8[/ame]

Funny I had a friend try the white wine trick on me a number of years ago, they were impressed that I described the wine as tasting " an awful lot like a white wine".

Though, I do find my tastebuds change and I like one bottle then try it again and not so much

The second bottle is usually better then the first and the third is best :)

Well, I know my brother drank a bottle of "sweet red muscadine", the other evening, then tasted mine. Said mine was better, had more flavor and a better mouth feel. Made me feel good since the bottle in question was a 20.00 from Dublin winery in NC.

Hahaha! Good stuff. Let's see: sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami. The "tongue map" was discredited back in 2005-06. Yet out of that simple mix comes so many eloquent words! :i

blazerpb thanks for inspiring my new avatar, my fiancé said that I am totally Vincent Price when I taste wine. At any rate, the "art" of tasting wine really is created by the billion dollar wine industry instead of being based on any quantifiable measurement. I have been burned on many bottles of wine that have great scores but were not worth their price tag. This is why I love Gary Vaynerchuck, because he has always pushed average people to be their own judge, and not to buy based on price or marketing. Make your own, it is almost always better than any commercial wine under $30 anyway.

I would say it's not bullshit. It's just that it's subjective and any opinion is open to debate always. If you ask someone who isn't really in to wine, that certainly makes it so- but if you enjoy tasting it and talking creatively about what you taste, how could it be? The writer here is talking about taste (of all things) as if it could possibly be objective- I would say that there is nothing scientific about that, kind of obvious really. ;)

I like it because I can find what I like before a blow the money on a whole bottle!! that and most of the wineries around me offer free tasting. When it free wine ever a bad thing? lol

Wine judging is more art than science in my opinion. How can you put a number on taste? There is no accounting for taste.

Now from a commercial perspective you can quantify things like best sellers, or popularity. But just because a wine is popular doesn't mean that it is one you or I would necessarily enjoy. This also gets complicated because sales figures can be skewed by market price. I am sure there are 100's of wines I would enjoy if I could afford to buy them on a regular basis.

One of the primary factors that is drawing me into this hobby is the ability to make good wine (by MY definition) the way my family, my friends and myself like it.

Winning medals is nice, but if, at the end of the day, you enjoy the wine you make, well that is gold in my book.

Latest posts

Back