The First Taste...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to add a bit of a digression... experiencing those weird phases and then having a wonderful beverage 1 or sometimes 3 years later really taught me to NEVER dump anything unless it's infected. If you have brett or vinegar or band-aid, or any other clearly identifiable spoilage it might make sense to dump it. But if it just tastes weird or off or even bad, let it age and see if it turns a corner.

You are so right! I had a wine which was named "sucky grape" concord because it was so bad but after one year it was actually pretty darn good. I was so new to wine making, I had no idea it would change in the bottle over time or how bulk aging helps. Today we laugh about how "sucky grape" turned the corner after 12-15 months, not realizing it sometimes takes wine that long to mature.

I like to taste as often as I can justify, from initial must to bottling. It's educational, it's fun and and it means that if I pick up a flaw I can address it before it gets out of hand. Typically I will pull a 50mL sample for SO2 testing and taste whatever remains after I run the test (20 or 25mL sample size). I keep tasting notes in the same spreadsheet as the fermentation record, SO2 testing and additions, etc.

That being said... I find it hard to judge how reds are going to turn out until at least 6-7 months after the end of primary fermentation. Even then, lots can happen between the 6-month mark and bottling. Whites seem a bit easier to gauge early on, though still change over the months.
You may not be able to taste how your reds are going to turn out, but you MAY be able to taste if things are going wonky! :D

Today was interesting and thought of this thread.

I started a FWK Tavola Syrah that had been in my refrigerator for a couple months. My only dry wines which are only reds include a Tavola and Forte Pinot Noir. I tasted the Syrah juice bag and YIKES it was good. 👍 I did not care for the Forte Pinot Noir juice currently bulk aging but the Syrah was very nice. I'll pitch yeast in the morning and in 14 days we will try the Syrah again but fermented.

Today was interesting and thought of this thread.

I started a FWK Tavola Syrah that had been in my refrigerator for a couple months. My only dry wines which are only reds include a Tavola and Forte Pinot Noir. I tasted the Syrah juice bag and YIKES it was good. 👍 I did not care for the Forte Pinot Noir juice currently bulk aging but the Syrah was very nice. I'll pitch yeast in the morning and in 14 days we will try the Syrah again but fermented.
Pinot Noir is an aptly named variety in my opinion. It tastes rich and dark to me. I like most reds unless I bump the ABV too much 😬, oops!

I think you will like the PN when it is fermented, but this is the fun part to me. Picking out the characteristics you like or don't. Knowing where your tastes were when you first joined you should look for descriptors like bright fruit and berry notes, plum, jam, etc. to choose your varietal and use a complimenting yeast to increase those characteristics.

Back