Is this to much head space for secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymason

Junior
Reaction score
1601662818943.pngThis is a 2 gallon batch of Apple Peach,Mango started on 09/17 and I racked on 10/01/2020 the starting gravity was 1.090 and final was .990.

2 gallons of Langers juice 4 Lbs of white cane sugar and 1/2 package of V1-1116 yeast and one tea spoon of yeast nutrient.
when it started it went nuts .
so I see a little activity in the airlock should I add additional juice to make up the gap in the jar?
Thank you

I am a little out of my element here because I don't make fruit wines (other than Cherry) but at an SG of 0.990, I would think fermentation is complete. Therefore, I would try to get the head space to a minimum.

Going to depend on who you ask. I’ve read many statements about head space. I tend to lean towards the amount of ‘open’ or exposed l head space. If you have sealed head space without the presence of oxygen, I’d say it doesn’t matter. If you’ve just opened your carboy/container, whatever that might be, allowed the gas to be replaced with oxygen, then it just might effect the wine in some way. I’m not nearly as educated in wine making as many, though.,

* opening is to be avoided! Country wines at state fair tend to have some oxidized alcohol flavor, ,,, ie it is a risk
* from the look of it you are using something like a kombucha jar with a 120mm lid. My experience with large lids has been poor, with leaking on the gasket. I have improvised a 110mm silicone funnel stretched tight enough to hold some pressure and force CO2 through the air lock. ,,, At 0.990 I would not expect significant generation of additional gas and if there is you may not see it.
* being a country wine Kmeta will be important, don’t skip any and consider drinking young
. . . If you have sealed head space without the presence of oxygen, I’d say it doesn’t matter. If you’ve just opened your carboy/container, whatever that might be, allowed the gas to be replaced with oxygen, then it just might effect the wine in some way.
* unless you have a dissolved oxygen meter or test for redox potential of the wine, we are all on the learning curve

I would say that even with more wine in your jars, there would be
too much air space. Jugs would allow you to reduce air space.

* opening is to be avoided! Country wines at state fair tend to have some oxidized alcohol flavor, ,,, ie it is a risk
* from the look of it you are using something like a kombucha jar with a 120mm lid. My experience with large lids has been poor, with leaking on the gasket. I have improvised a 110mm silicone funnel stretched tight enough to hold some pressure and force CO2 through the air lock. ,,, At 0.990 I would not expect significant generation of additional gas and if there is you may not see it.
* being a country wine Kmeta will be important, don’t skip any and consider drinking young

* unless you have a dissolved oxygen meter or test for redox potential of the wine, we are all on the learning curve
good point, I've never used or seen that kind of jug before,
Dawg

Generally speaking large lids are a lot riskier in terms of leaks and overall surface area exposure to air. That's the reason for smaller openings on carboyss. Bit a lot easier to establish and maintain a good seal. if you have ever opened for the first time a 5 gallon bucket of paitn that wasn't mixed at the store before you took it home... That seal there is about as good as you can get on a large mouth container. Even then after a while that paint will have a skin on it. Same principle with wine aging in a large mouth container.

Thank you to all who replied.
I will give it one more week in the jars then i will bottle and drink young and back sweeten if neeb be.
Thank y'all again.

Latest posts

Back