Pomegranate Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexey

Reaction score
So here’s what I’ve got. I made Pomegranate wine and it was out of this world. Best I’ve ever made and I found the recipe online.

9/11/2020 - Pomegranate wine 1 gallon
* 96 ounces Pom 100% juice
* 3 lbs sugar
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* 2 tsp acid blend
* 1 cup strong black tea (instead of 1/2 tsp tannin)
* 1 packet yeast ec-1118

1. I used 48 ounces of pom juice and dissolved 3 pounds of sugar and brought to a boil.
2. Pouring the other 48 ounces into the fermenting bucket.
3. While the juice was cooling I activated yeast per instructions on packet.
4. I then put my sugar and Pom juice mix Into the fermentation bucket. I added yeast nutrient, acid blend and cup of black tea into fermentation bucket.
5. I added my yeast
6. Closed the lid and letting it ferment for 2 weeks.

I realized that I added way to much sugar because it was strong (17%) checked with vinometer and starting and final SG readings calculated came out to same.

My question is:
In the morning I plan to make a 5 gallon batch multiplying all of my ingredients by 5 times. I’ve read so many recipes that call for one packet of yeast (I’ll still be using 1118) for a 5 gallon batch, but I used a full packet of yeast for my one gallon of must. Would it be safe to dump 5 packets into my fermenter? I am definitely trying to get at least 14% abv from this up coming 5 gallon pomegranate wine experiment.

I decided I’m going to use my 2 gallon fermenter for experimenting with wines.

Thanks in advance.
Alexey

I would also suggest not multiplying the sugar by 5 but use your hydrometer to get a sg=1.090 which will yield a 12% wine the sweet spot for most wines.

What was the reason why you boiled some of the juice? And you added acid blend. OK but what was the pH and/or TA before you added the acidity?

What was the reason why you boiled some of the juice? And you added acid blend. OK but what was the pH and/or TA before you added the acidity?
Idk the pH or TA but I do know that the wine taste amazing after only 4 weeks. I’m actually about to make 5 gallons of it.
What can I use to fill the extra space in the carboys. I’ve seen people use marbles. Is there other things I can use?

Back