Is there any reason I should NOT do this...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
I just started a batch of RJs Winery Series Super Tuscan and through my own stupidity I made a bit a of a mistake. The kit 18L also has an extra 2.5kg (~2L displacement) grapes which when using what I believe to be a standard primary of ~26L there is not a lot of grace for error as it puts things easily to 25L. Essentially I put the oak in after topping up and then I didn't want to leave the goodies in grape jar so I added some water to that to ensure none was left behind and long story short when all was said and done I had a primary full to the brim. I remember thinking that I will have to watch volume carefully to account for the grapes but yet here we are. I removed 1L to allow the proper grace space and started off the wine otherwise as per usual. SG is still at the 1.095 starting point (Should be 1.095-1.1) so I presume whats in the primary should progress fine.

I now have aprox 1L of reserve I certainly dont want to waste so my intention is to allow fermentation for 6-8days and then when racking to secondary at ~1.01 I will reintroduce the reserve. It shouldn't push the SG up more than a few points so I figure hungry yeast will consume it happily as per usual as secondary can be done between 1.01-1.02 and the added reserve will help account for some volume lost in sediment.

Till then Im keeping it sealed in a jar in the fridge and before adding I will allow to reach room temp not that I add cold juice to the secondary.

Is there any good reason my plan is flawed?

You could do that or just add it the secondary after the first racking. Probably the preferred method if you don't have enough room for the fermentation once it starts going would be to split the batch in half between two containers to ferment. Then combine them back together in the carboy when you rack.

You could do that or just add it the secondary after the first racking.

That's a comfort, this is essentially what I was trying to say. Add reserve to secondary, rack primary into secondary around 1.01. Rack again and stabilize once finished fermenting completely.

I considered splitting the batch but was worried that only half would have the sack of grapes to benefit from and that there would be a huge amount of space in each primary as I was only over by 1L and wanted to avoid any risk of oxidization. I know fermentation produces a lot of c02 but didn't want to any oxidization while the co2 built up in the 10+L of space.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll rest easier.

normally you don't have to worry about oxidation in the primary as far as I know you may later in secondary but not normally in primary.

if you wanted to make it into a sparkling wine you could. i think if you added extra liter at bottling time and it still was fermenting it would be called krausening. i think. not 100% sure tho...

same idea as with beer or cider right? I'd have to re-introduce yeast though would I not. Not that I would do it to this wine but neat idea going forward...

You dont have to reintroduce yeast if its only been a short time. Both times Ive made sparkling wine I didnt add more yeast. I let fermetation finish, fined it with SuperKleer and then added corn sugar as its easier for the yeast existing in there still to eat.

Other than SuperKleer did you use anything like like K Meta to stabalize? I usually use sulphite, sorbate and Chitosan...

Latest posts

Back