Can my dragon blood skeeter Pee be salvaged?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbhutchins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie, just started this hobby last October. I'm learning as I go, but made what I think is a fatal flaw in my DB-SP batch.
I had things going well after primary and it went into secondary carboy. I had about a quart more than would fit, so I put the extra in a quart jar. I added the potassium sorbate and metabisulphate in the carboy, but didn't put anything in the quart jar. Mistake 1, I think. I just put an airlock on both and let them rest.

I racked the carboy into another carboy and had room left, so poured part of the quart container into the carboy. But then I noticed what looked grey in the bottom of the quart container and smelled... It was bad.

It has been sitting a month or so and I tried just moving on with it. I added back sweetening and set it aside. I gave it a tasting and it isn't terrible, but there is a aftertaste that hits the back of your throat after a sip. Again, not terrible, but kind of an off flavor. I think it has to do with the awful cup I poured in before realizing it was bad.

About a month ago I added another dose of sorbate and metabisulphate. But it hasn't seemed to make any difference in the flavor.

Is there anything that could be added to help? Should I just leave it sit six months and taste again? Should I just dump it and chalk up as a lesson in what not to do?

Thanks in advance!

I did something similar - once. After I added from the smaller container I smelled acetone. Damn. Lesson learned, smell and taste first.

I wonder if it's bacterial? Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

FWIW, I've used quart and half gallon jars but have gone to wine bottles (#3 stopper) or used fruit juice containers to reduce surface area.

Hey @BigDaveK, Thanks for the reply. How did it end with the one you added before tasting? Just wondered.

The carboy is filled right to about 1.5 inches from the stopper, so very little headspace. But I don't see anything ugly forming at the top of the wine. I just wonder if time or something else could help.

I consider myself lucky and blessed because that's been my only wine fault so far. And one reason is because I learned from others on this wonderful site.

Mine didn't taste good. As a learning experience I put it back to bulk to see what happens.

What did yours smell and taste like? That would narrow down the possibilities. Medicinal? Wet dog? Cabbage? Mold? Something else?

I consider myself lucky and blessed because that's been my only wine fault so far. And one reason is because I learned from others on this wonderful site.

Mine didn't taste good. As a learning experience I put it back to bulk to see what happens.

What did yours smell and taste like? That would narrow down the possibilities. Medicinal? Wet dog? Cabbage? Mold? Something else?
Well the liquid in the quart jar actually smelled foul, like something spoiled. I can tell you that will never happen again. If I haven't tasted to see how it is right now, then it won't get added. (Hard lesson) But it was really bad smelling. So while I added about 3 cups of the bad stuff to the 6 gallon carboy before realizing it was truly bad, maybe the ratio of bad to good wasn't enough to ruin it?

Anyway, I've tasted the current batch that is in bulk aging and it is not horrible. It just isn't that good, unlike the few other wines I produced. It's definitely not one of those wines that you go, "Oh that's good." It has that off flavor that hits you in the back of the throat, which I suspect is the direct result of the addition of that foul 3 cups. It might just be one that I cut my losses and dump it. But if there is any chance that in time it could work out the yuck, I'm okay with leaving it in bulk to see what happens. I'm guessing yours is still sitting in bulk waiting... :)

I had the unpleasant task of dumping 3 gallons of DB. I used a Buon Vino filter which is known for filter taint. I was like sipping on a fruity cup of laundry detergent.

You lost some time, but DB is cheap and quick to make. I'd take it as a learning lesson and let it go.

Foul, Spoiled, really bad smelling... is a taint that I wouldn't want to drink, diluted or not.. If it was served to me without foreknowledge I would be pretty.. upset.

It is not fun, but starting again is not that big of a loss!

@wbhutchins , "spoiled" doesn't sound good. Hope, as in hoping for a miracle, generally is a bad strategy. I sadly agree, time to move on.

That being said, MAYBE some effort would salvage something drinkable. Here's a good general article about wine faults -

https://winemakermag.com/article/when-wines-go-bad
My bad batch is only 1 gallon. In my scheme of things that's insignificant and I don't mind waiting to see what happens.

@wbhutchins , "spoiled" doesn't sound good. Hope, as in hoping for a miracle, generally is a bad strategy. I sadly agree, time to move on.

That being said, MAYBE some effort would salvage something drinkable. Here's a good general article about wine faults -

https://winemakermag.com/article/when-wines-go-bad
My bad batch is only 1 gallon. In my scheme of things that's insignificant and I don't mind waiting to see what happens.
That article is great. I'll keep it for future reference. I am going to give the copper sulfate a try. It is after all, 6 gallons of wine and if there's a chance to salvage it... Why not? If it doesn't help, well then down the drain it goes. Worth a try anyway. Definitely a lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back