Is a Better Bottle really better?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy1

Junior
Reaction score
I'm gettign ready to buy my first 6 gallon carboy. I think I'd rather use glass, but considering my clumsiness, and the fact that a plastic carboy can be drilled for a racking spigot, I'm kinda leaning towards plastic. Have any of y'all used plastic? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks.

I personally prefer glass over plastic, but others feel differently. Put a carboy handle on it and it handles safer. The plastic ones are not all that rigid. Have you ever grabbed a full bottle of soda by the sides with the cap off? Imagine that with a full carboy of wine-instant mess! If you want a spigot for the first racking(transfer), use a 7.9 gallon plastic primary bucket with a spigot on it.
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the info, y'all. I guess I'll go with glass (and try to pay more attention to the topics next time, hehe).

I have one but prefer the glass myself. My Better Bottle doesn't have the racking spout on it though.

Smurfe

I prefer glass also. Anyone ever drop a big carboy and have it break??? I would imagine it was a mess...

Glass! The plastic can get scratched up easier and could create some problems if not cleaned out properly!

Latest posts

Back