I may have been wrong.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
I have been thinking that every batch of wine i have made so far has had a sulfa problem. Well today i checked the smell of a wine kit I started and the smell almost made me fall backwards. It reminded me of those old stink bombs that came in a glass vile that you got from liquor stores. None of my other wines have ever had this smell. Now Im wondering what I was smelling before. I always thought it smelled like sulfur I think i was wrong.

I have been thinking that every batch of wine i have made so far has had a sulfa problem. Well today i checked the smell of a wine kit I started and the smell almost made me fall backwards. It reminded me of those old stink bombs that came in a glass vile that you got from liquor stores. None of my other wines have ever had this smell. Now Im wondering what I was smelling before. I always thought it smelled like sulfur I think i was wrong.

Interesting you mention that, I started a RJ Spagnols RQ kit this past Saturday and I swear it has a slight sulfur smell to it. I have had sulfur smells in the past but never from a high grade kit, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not however.

I have never had a wine smells like a stink bomb.

Bet you are stressing the yeast. Try splash racking it, add some nutrient and energizer, see if it comes out ok after a few days. Good luck with it, Arne.

I'm trashing the batch. It's a several year old Kit than looks horrible. I don't feel safe drinking it. It's was a good learning experience

I'm NO EXPERT!

But I've done kits before, and I've read that they are heavily sulfited to prevent spoilage/increase shelf-life.

Could it possibly be what you are smelling, just at a higher concentration??? Maybe over time the sulfite smell concentrates??
Interesting! Sorry you had to trash the batch :(

Got it off a co-worker for $20 so I'm not too broken up over it

Last time this happened I splashed racked onto some of those Copper pot scrubbers. It worked great. And yes you nneed to change what you are doing to stress the yeast that bad. Most kits have 1118, Cruvee or champagne yeast. They are really reliable and hard to stress. Look at your temperature first. remember yeast working add heat so it it is in a hot place stress happens easy

Damn that is one abused wine kit. My Mom bought me a kit several years ago. Really, dont do kits but I raided the isoclear out of it along the way AND THEN THE YEAST ANOTHER TIME. Well I finally dumped yeast into it and added a 6 year old frozen grape pack and all seems fine so far. These puppys can take a beating. the kits is 5 years old

Latest posts

Back