Acetone smell in fermented wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlev

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have just finished fermenting a Winexpert Carbernet.The kit came with 2 yeasts ec1118 and rc212. I originally used just the rc212 but a day later still no bubbling.The next day I added the ec1118 and the day after still no activity.So 2 days later I add a ec1118 I had sitting in the fridge,and that starts the fermentation shortly after.I am guessing that something went wrong with the yeast that were sitting in the kit. So the fermentation went well but after a week I notice an acetone like smell,not particularly pleasant. Now its been almost 2 weeks and the smell is still there.I have poured the wine into the glass,did not notice much of the smell and it tasted fine.

What do you guys think it is?Is it an acetobacter infection,should I just flush it down the drain before it turns too bad and possibli cross contaminate the other batches? I rather toss it now than keeping it if its not worth it.

acetone and acetic acid are two different chemicals. Acetic acid is used/ approved for use in a lot of food product from pickles to salad dressing.

Acetic acid (vinegar) is normal in wine at levels under 100ppm. Yeast will produce some as part of their metabolism, I wouldn’t be concerned if you noted some and at two weeks the wine tastes good.
Acetone is a polar solvent which is good for cleaning epoxies. I would hope that you don’t have this, it is toxic in quantity.

Wellits kind off nail polish remover smell which could indicate volatile acidity right?

Noticing the smell after only a week makes me think there was a problem somewhere right from the start.
Strictly speaking ethyl acetate doesn't indicate volatile acidity since it's not an acid.
The number of different mechanisms that can cause ethyl acetate is amazing and interesting. It's common in wine since yeast make it but it's usually in incredibly small amounts. Generally when it becomes a problem acetobacter are also present.
There's no mistaking that smell! I had it thankfully in only one small batch. The only possible fix I've found so far is reverse osmosis which is not in my toolbox.

Time and patience. If you've got the space, make sure your sulphite levels are good, stick it away and forget about it for a while. If you didn't intend to sell it, what have you got to lose? You've put in the effort, it may surprise you yet!

Ethyl acetate is a naturally produced esther of ethanol and acetic acid. It can be produced naturally over time in wine, ,,, ie, There are a series of esthers that form as wine ages which reduces the Titratable acidity over years.
Well it’s kind off nail polish remover smell which could indicate volatile acidity right?
Ethyl acetate isn’t all bad. I have had ethyl acetate wine at a vinters club meeting asking what this flavor was and had reactions as “the label says XX but that’s not the dominant flavor so it wouldn’t ever win at contest time, ,, but it tastes good so I’ll have a second glass”. You may be more sensitive to ethyl acetate than other tasters.
Ethyl acetate can also be produced via microbial metabolism. Sachromycetes strains are selected that produce low levels. You may have some wild species in this ferment too. ,,, Stepping back and reflecting, all fermentations will have some non-commercial organisms. The question then turns out to be which organism dominates and produces the dominant flavor notes.

Latest posts

Back