How do you dispose of sediment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pour it on the garden. I helps the microbial activity. I actually sheet compost all my veg scraps, slurry, etc (no meat or fat). That means I pull back the hay mulch and pour on the "stuff" and cover it back up. The worms will compost it in no time and you will increase the nutrition in the soil. Also, interestingly, I have read that over time, vineyards have increasingly more and more of favorable yeasts in the air because of the slurry being used in the vineyards. I think cheesemakers have a similar thing happen.

Bentonite

If you make a lot of wine, and use bentonite you don't want to put it into your drain if you have a septic system. A little every now and then will not be a problem, but you you make a lot of wine then the bentonite may eventually clog you drain field (bentonite is used to stop leaks in dams). The must is good fertilizer for plants that need acidic soil (like blueberries)

If you make a lot of wine, and use bentonite you don't want to put it into your drain if you have a septic system. A little every now and then will not be a problem, but you you make a lot of wine then the bentonite may eventually clog you drain field (bentonite is used to stop leaks in dams). The must is good fertilizer for plants that need acidic soil (like blueberries)

Yep! That bentonite expands and does a great job of sealing up old wells and drill holes. Just ask any geologist or engineer who's had experience with drilling.

mix with your cornflakes,
just pour in far corner of yard aND SPRAY REAL GOOD WITH WATER HOSE,
DAWG

Just curious how everyone else disposes of wine sediment after racking wine off. I have only made one batch so far and just poured it down sink, but think this could cause problems longterm with the sink.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll tell ya a story. DON'T, I repeat Don't put it down your drain. I've been making wine for about 8 years and I always poured it down my utility sink drain. a couple of years ago My sewer pipe got clogged and I had to have a contractor dig up my pipe and replace it. Cost me 3000.00 dollars. The wife said that is some expensive wine I'm making. Now I take home plastic 5 gallon containers from work. My sediment go's in there and I throw it in the dumpster in work. Bakervinyard

I put mine in my compost bin. I wonder if the inoculation of my compost with the winemaking yeast that I most frequently use gets into my vineyard and then competes and beats out some of the fungus and mildew that might otherwise be lurking. Then, I'm wondering, if I crush some grapes and sulfite them and the sulfite doesn't work well, will my normal winemaking yeast that has been spread all over the vineyard step up and do what it does before something else takes hold.

Back