How do you dispose of sediment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorrich

Junior
Reaction score
Just curious how everyone else disposes of wine sediment after racking wine off. I have only made one batch so far and just poured it down sink, but think this could cause problems longterm with the sink.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

that is what I do, down the drain. Actually, it is suppose to be good for your sewage system, if you have your own. I know there was someone on here awhile ago who posted up that he had a drain that was constantly getting plugged, he started to pour his sediment down that drain and it never got plugged again.

The yeasties are good for the sewage environment, it helps keeps things flowing.

I do the same, I'm sure my septic tank thanks me! If there's anything "whole" (like berries) I just make sure those don't go down.

I pour it on the grass and rinse it in with some water. I figure its organic and our soil can never have enough organic in this part of the country. No problems in 3 years.

Pomace goes in the compost pile. Sediment goes down the drain

Ha ha ha :h funny thread to find since I actually just flushed 3 gallons of a batch that didn't work out literally down the toilet.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I'm not causing problems for myself. Might try the grass tip though during the summer months and wash it down with a hose.

Thanks!

I pour it on the grass and rinse it in with some water. I figure its organic and our soil can never have enough organic in this part of the country. No problems in 3 years.

same here, but I find that if you do not rinse in with a lot of water, it will leave a dead spot in your lawn.

same here, but I find that if you do not rinse in with a lot of water, it will leave a dead spot in your lawn.

Some of it gets turned into skeeter pee. Most of the rest goes outside. Havn't noticed it killing off any flowers. Didn't realize it mite hurt them. If it does, I am not telling. Havn't been in bad trouble lately, not wanting to start rite now. LOL, Arne.

It depends on how much there is. If it is a lot and it is nice out I go out side and dump it and clean up. Otherwise down the utility sink it goes. Can not say I noticed it helping the pipes though. I have always had problems with the drain line my utility sink is on. I still have the problems guess I will just need to make more wine so I have more sediment to wash down the drain.

First racking, I save for Skeeter Pee, the rest goes through the garbage disposal and into the septic tank.

Garden wine

BACK TO NATURE,DISPOSE OF IT IN THE FLOWER GARDEN, THE IVY LOVES THE LEFT OVERS:slp

Into the Garden or Down the Toilet.
Oak chunks can be saved to use for BBQ smoker material...just haven't found a good food application yet.

Latest posts

Back