How do we restart fermentation after metabisulphite?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tendershoots

Junior
Reaction score
We have two batches of wine currently underway. One of dandelion and one of rhubarb. Things were progressing well until we were told that we had dropped our specific gravity enough from our starting point to begin adding metabisulphite at 1/8th teaspoon per gallon when we racked. we did this once and ended up bringing fermentation to a standstill. the rhubarb is stalled at about 1.045 and the dandelion at 1.015 specific gravity, these values have not changed in several weeks. The wines seem to be in good shape going by taste. Can we restart fermentation? With the metabisulphite still in the solution? How?

Thanks John

Yikes!! Thats lot John. I am assuming you are using the powdered form. In the primary we all seem to use 1/4 teaspoon for 5 gallons before ferment.

When it comes to racking that sounds to me like an extreme amount! I hope I am wrong. But that will for sure stunt your ferment.

Who told you to add that much?

I dont know if you can get this going. If they are under airlock, leave it like that.

I am hoping one of the senior members can recommend something. Man, that is alot.

Don't panick, and don't dump anything. Stand by for a bit. Lets see if we can come up with a solution.

Welcome to the forum. Next time you start a batch, ask first. We will all advise you before a problem like this arises. Over sulfiting is a hard thing to reverse, but it doesn't mean all hope is lost.

You dont add sulfite until the wine is finished fermenting so go ***** slap who ever told you to add sulfite or even rack at this early stage. I would try splash racking this wine very vigorously from bucket to bucket a few times and also stir it really good abusively. You will also want to make a yeast starter with like Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC 1118 and then once its going good add a little of your wine to it and keep adding a little at a time until you have tripled your starter size. This will acclimate the yeast to a higher sulfite level if your wine doesnt start fermenting again by itself. This is possible and it most likely will get started again so dont give up on it.

I'm with Wade here. Stir the **** out of it and make up a really good starter.
Who on earth gave you that advice????

Just to make sure you understand what Wade said. Make a starter and than add a little of the MUST to the starter at a time until it is tripled in size. Maybe a cup per hour.

While the starter is "growing splash rack it for sure. I had a similar problem in the earlier days and the same advice was able to get me "jump" started.

When it comes time to introduce the starter, make sure your temp in the must is at LEAST 70F, 75 is better. Whip the heck out of it as you pour the starter in. Than hope for the best.

If you are not familiar with starters ask and we can show you a link from this website to show you how to do it.

Dont give up yet, the fun has just begun.

And yep, whatever Wade said!!! LOL

I JUST had this happen with two 6 gallon buckets. I oversulfited.... nothing but splash racking and time unitl you get down to under 50 ppm. I actually got a Cab Sauv bucket restarted without repitching... a lot of splash racking and some yeast energizer. I had to repitch the other but they both got started after days of splashing and praying

I don't see temperature mentioned above. I think making sure that the must/wine is about 74F (or even a bit warmer) is a good idea as well. You want conditions to be as comfortable as possible for the yeast.

Does anybody know if SO2 dissipates faster in warm temperature? I believe that stirring will help it to dissipate (similar to splash racking).

Steve

Last edited:
I would imagive it would hep dissipate in warmer liquid unless it just helps dissolve it only. Trot did mention to bring the temp up to around 75 though for the wine.

I meant mstly for a temperature that would be good to intoduce the strter in, I really dont have a clue about dissipation. I have only had this problem once. I at least fgured out about asking something I dont know.

I have learned enough things in my life the hard way.

Now I ask befoe I start doing things I am unsure of and then usually qualify it with a second qualified opinion.

Not just in wine making.

Just to make sure you understand what Wade said. Make a starter and than add a little of the MUST to the starter at a time until it is tripled in size. Maybe a cup per hour.

While the starter is "growing splash rack it for sure. I had a similar problem in the earlier days and the same advice was able to get me "jump" started.

When it comes time to introduce the starter, make sure your temp in the must is at LEAST 70F, 75 is better. Whip the heck out of it as you pour the starter in. Than hope for the best.

If you are not familiar with starters ask and we can show you a link from this website to show you how to do it.

Dont give up yet, the fun has just begun.

And yep, whatever Wade said!!! LOL
How do you make a starter, used diff metabisulfite and overdosed!

Thank you very much! I would hate to waste 6 gals of apple wine. I have used campden tablets for 10 years and ran out and a wine place told me to use the sodium metabisulfite that it was the same, not exactly, I used too much!!! my bad :)

Latest posts

Back