How Cold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kutya

Reaction score
It was 31 below zero here today... The ole Jeep really struggled to start today.....

It's cold heree in Texas too. We almost got below 50 F last night. It's backup in the high sixties now so we'll be all right.
smiley36.gif

Oh I miss snow!
smiley19.gif

It was so cold....I saw a lawyer with his hand in his own pocket!!!

What kind of Jeep you got? At 31 above which it hardly gets here my Jeep is tough to start.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

My jeep starts great all the time. With 143,000 miles on it. Cherokke Sport with 4" lift and 35" tires. Goes anywhere with 5 speed and military axle!

Was -17*F here this morning...my hubby had an early dentist appointment and I went along to visit a girlfriend in that town...my old Caddy turned right over, no plug-in on the 'old doll'...she'll always start...BUT....the mice have filled the heater vents with dog food and sunflower seeds again so we had no heat...the only heat was coming out of my defroster...we about froze on the one hour juorney... Could see our breath...on the way home the car thermometer read a balmy -9*F...now the temp is dropping again...will get to about -25*F tonight....

My poor roses and grapes hardly have any snow cover....
smiley19.gif

wade said:
My jeep starts great all the time. With 143,000 miles on it. Cherokke Sport with 4" lift and 35" tires. Goes anywhere with 5 speed and military axle!

Ahh, you have fuel injection. I have the crappy old carburetor. It starts up fairly well but takes a couple miles driving down the road before it smooths out. I have a new carb for it, just haven't got around to putting it on. I have an 81 CJ 7 5" lift and 33's for the time being. I need to regear my axles before I go any bigger tires.

In regards to the temps. I feel kinda guilty. It got to 73 here today. Only been down in the mid 50's at night. Now a couple weeks ago it was frigid. It got to 30 a couple nights and only in the low 50's during the day. I about froze to death.
smiley36.gif
I will admit to though, I do miss the snow as well. Haven't seen any in 5 years.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

masta said:

smiley36.gif
BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

masta said:

I was going to teach my kids the value of a dollar but decided against it; I didn't want to ruin there chance at being a politician.

Q: What do you get when you put 100 lawyers in a basement?
A: A whine cellar.

I'm sorry for the Copy/Pasted joke, I'm just sitting here waiting for the ice will build up enough to knock my power out >>>again.

redderthebetter said:
  I'm just sitting here waiting for the ice will build up enough to knock my power out >>>again. 

</font>

Redder....how cold will it get where your Sprkling Wine is staying????

Well...when we want to dégorge it we put it in a -5*F freezer for 1 1/2 hours...seems if the freezer warms up from the door being open and too many bottles inside the stuff won't freeze at warmer temps.....

So, don't think it will freeze for you at 30+.

It must be done fermenting if it has gotten that cold....I don't know if you'll loose any carbonation at those temps...? Don't think so...it will probably be okay at above freezing temps....

I figure if I keep it in the cool area, it won't be as volitile as a jar the daily. Thanks for your time and thoughts on it. I drank some the other night. It was leftover, that I put intoa grolsch. It was drier than I expected. But very nice. It had the sediment in it that clouded it when I popped it open. I had given some thought to not going through the degorging a while back, and now am glad I will do it.

Since I am in my home office, with my everpresent CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (53rd Edition, 1972-1973) I can offer the following freezing points:

10.1% - 25.8F
11.4% - 24.9F
12.7% - 24.0F
13.9% - 23.0F
15.2% - 22.0F
16.5% - 21.0F
17.7% - 19.9F

Why all the odd numbers? The table is in % by weight, so I had to convert that to % by volume (very much a SWAG conversion, but I don't have a conversion graph), and in C so I had to convert that to F. The highest concentration they list for freezing point is 86% abv, which freezes at -57.1F. Now that's cold!!

redderthebetter said:
I had given some thought to not going through the degorging a while back, and now am glad I will do it. 

You can dégorge one at a time when you drink them...just keep the top pointing down, freeze the bottle till about 2 inches in the neck turns to ice....at that point you can tip the bottle upward a bit as the ice plug is frozen into the plastic stopper, release the wire and POP!!! All the nasty discolored yeasties are in the neck and come out in the ice plug.... ENJOY!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

my jeep is a 94 wrangler. It has 295,000 miles. It runs pretty good for the miles...

btw it's only 21 below zero here today.... I'm thinking about sun bathing...

Latest posts

Back