Tennessee bill would stop sale of cold beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
A bill introduced in Tennessee could ban the sale of refrigerated or cold beer.

The bill, SB 2636, aims to prohibit a beer permittee from selling, at retail, refrigerated or cold beer.

It was introduced on Jan. 31 in the House and Senate. So far, it’s passed on first and second consideration in the Senate and has been referred to the Senate State and Local Government Committee.

The bill was introduced by Representative Ron Gant, R-Piperton and Senator Paul Rose, R-District 32.

Rose was involved in another bill pertaining to alcohol in 2023, BS 1055.

“As introduced, lowers the threshold for enhancing the minimum sentence of a person convicted of driving under the influence of an intoxicant, from a blood alcohol concentration of 0.20 percent or more to a blood alcohol concentration of 0.15 percent or more.”

https://www.wsmv.com/2024/02/14/new-bill-could-ban-sale-refrigerated-cold-beer-tennessee/

I wonder what the legislative thought is behind the bill, keep folks from buying a six or more pack (cold) and drinking it while driving home?? I suppose there is some logic there, but I can't see it. Just switch to harder alcohol and drink that.
Emphasis mine. What's "legislative thought"?

I wonder what the legislative thought is behind the bill, keep folks from buying a six or more pack (cold) and drinking it while driving home?? I suppose there is some logic there, but I can't see it. Just switch to harder alcohol and drink that.

That's the idea, I think, but I don't see the logic, either. Carry a cooler in the trunk, buy ice and a 12, mix thoroughly, and in 10 minutes... So, the store owner gets to sell a bag of ice, too, lol...

The other bill reduces legal blood alcohol limit. Since TN is at 0.08% as the floor where they can nab you for a DUI, all this bill does is lower the level at which you are the benefactor of ENHANCED legal calamity and expense. Lots of other states have already lowered that level to 0.15%.

So, after 4-5 standard drinks (a standard drink is 12 fl oz of beer at about 5% ABV; 8 to 9 fl oz of malt liquor at about 7% ABV; 5 fl oz of wine at about 12% ABV; or 1.5 fl oz of distilled spirits/liquor at about 40% ABV), you are in the zone where you're on the legal hook, and after 7-8, you are in the enhanced beatdown zone.

In TN, a first-time DUI at 0.08 means:
  • 48 hours up to 11 months, 29 days for offenders in violation of 55-10-401
  • License revocation for 1 year - Restricted License available
  • You will be ordered to participate in an alcohol and drug treatment program
  • Pay restitution to any person suffering physical injury or personal loss
  • $350-$1,500 fine
  • With towing, bail, attorney, high risk insurance, court costs, school, and reinstatement fees, your first offense average costs could add up to $4,900
  • Ignition Interlock Device installed at your expense. Minimum first year costs could exceed $1,000.00
Do it twice or more or get up to or over the current 0.20% threshold and:
  • minimum jail time 7 consecutive days
  • If two (2) convictions of DUI in 5 years, Ignition Interlock Device required for 6 months after reinstatement at your expense
  • Drug and Alcohol Treatment may be required at the judge's discretion

This is why I never go out to bars anymore and only very, very rarely drink away from home.

This is why I never go out to bars anymore and only very, very rarely drink away from home.
Amen brother - my thoughts exactly. Wife never supported drinking much at a restaurant anyway, she's from Germany and they seize your car for DWI. I also seldom leave the house after dark, especially on Friday or Saturday. Hard to get run over at home.

However, IMHO making it illegal to sell cold beer is just stupid. As you pointed out it's easy to get around.

Maybe I'm naïve ... but it is entirely possible that not all elected officials are complete morons.

In Tennessee, the liquor lobby pumps lots of campaign cash into lawmakers' accounts. That's true of the South as a whole, and it is one very big reason that marijuana will never be legal in the South unless it becomes federally so. A friend's son just got busted in TN for a THC vape. He actually had two. If they had found the other one, it would have been a state felony. Yet 300 miles north of here, it is legal. That's the liquor lobby at work in the South. It's powerful.

I’ll go with not all being complete morons AND campaign cash in their coffers. Personally, banning the sale of cold beer is the kind of vote which would have me questioning their motives anyway. Define cold - would a walk in room with really good air conditioning break the rules?

It's interesting to me that the same guy who introduced the bill is the one who then modified it. The goal is to prevent drunk driving in order to save lives. But they already hammer people really hard for that, and it hasn't stopped it. If they were really wanting to make a dent in it, they would outlaw all bars and sales of liquor, beer. etc. by the drink. Not gonna happen. Liquor lobby. That lobby and the preachers join forces when it comes to booze in the South.

It's interesting to me that the same guy who introduced the bill is the one who then modified it. The goal is to prevent drunk driving in order to save lives. But they already hammer people really hard for that, and it hasn't stopped it. If they were really wanting to make a dent in it, they would outlaw all bars and sales of liquor, beer. etc. by the drink. Not gonna happen. Liquor lobby. That lobby and the preachers join forces when it comes to booze in the South.
He may have been out to make a public splash with an idiotic bill. Or, maybe he got feedback from the aforementioned liquor lobby and/or his constituents.

Latest posts

Back