House guest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
This definitely has nothing to do with wine making.
About a month ago, my dog started alerting on something under my cabin. It got to the point she would wake me up at 2 am, growling and barking! She even tried to claw through the floor to get at the "guest".
Since a momma skunk had a litter of 3 under the barn, I thought it was probably one of the young skunks.
I keep a garbage pail under the kitchen sink. There is also a sizable hole around the water pipes where a frozen pipe had to be repaired previously. The hole is about 8" x 6". We (dog and me) heard something trying to get into the garbage. Ah! Mice! I opened the cupboard and found the 5 gallon garbage pail laying on its side with half the plastic liner pulled down through the hole in the floor. BIG freakin' mouse!
So tonight, figuring I'd roust the skunk, I went down in my root cellar, which is under half the cabin. I started shining the flashlight around, expecting to see junior skunk off in a corner somewhere. Holy Crap! There's a stepped bank under the cabin, and it looked like I had a portal to the Underworld there! Some "thing" has dug a burrow big enough to house a full grown badger!
So now I have something living in a basement of their own making under my cabin, and my cabin is filled with the wonderful aroma of Naphthalene. Oh, joy!

OP... let it dig... it's building you a wine cellar. Feed it... the fatter it gets, the bigger the wine cellar. I should be so lucky.
HB

you gotta get a game camera. At least then you'll know what your fighting.:gb
That would be the ticket. Got a couple furry C-notes you can lend me to buy one? :h

OP... let it dig... it's building you a wine cellar. Feed it... the fatter it gets, the bigger the wine cellar. I should be so lucky.
HB
Maybe if I fatten it up, it will get stuck in its own hole and DIE!!!!

Um, Do you have bears in your area??

Well...yeah...but my cabin's so small, if it was a bear, it would have carried the cabin off on its back. :tz

I dont even want to talk about skunks!!!!! my dog got skunked 4 times this year, 2 the previous, and 3 previuos to that. He just doesnt learn nor does my wife when she lets him out at night. She opens the door and hes off like a bullet before she even knows that hes out the door. the 1st 2 times was me a few years ago but since them Im smarter then that and hold him to see if is on to something.

Maybe if I fatten it up, it will get stuck in its own hole and DIE!!!!

Yeah... that would be great. I'm sure it wouldn't rot under your house and stink or anything like that... huh?

Do you really want it to die? Think about it this way... make friends with it and it will keep the other animals away... not to mention that it will give your dog another way to enjoy life. I know mine is happiest chasing a possum or other animal... as long as she doesn't catch it!
HB

Hey man, he just want's to share your wine! Unless he has a red T-shirt. Then he just wants honey...

Do you really want it to die? Think about it this way... make friends with it and it will keep the other animals away... not to mention that it will give your dog another way to enjoy life. I know mine is happiest chasing a possum or other animal... as long as she doesn't catch it!
HB
I don't want to kill it unless it's him or me. I just can't take the 2 am wake up calls and the dog ripping up my floor!
Hey man, he just want's to share your wine! Unless he has a red T-shirt. Then he just wants honey...
If it's Poo Bear, he can go pull my Tigger! He ain't gettin' my honey!

I'm beginning to think you guys think I'm pulling your leg(s).

Those moth balls are 3/4" in diameter.

Christmas2009003.jpg

Latest posts

Back