Hello from UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildfruity

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so saying hello. Just started winemaking after over a 10 year break. Previously only dabbled, from shop bought kits, including a bit of kit beer making but from now on, want to make wine using real fruits, with a preference for wild ones. Currently fermenting 2 differing batches of juice of elderberry (1 with 1 litre of prime juice, and 2 with 0.75L each of over-ripe juice. Both batches started fermentation within 2 hours and finished fermenting first half kilo of sugar in 2 days and now fermenting their second half kilos of sugar. Today commenced 400ml juice of crabapple.

Found this forum while researching recommendations for use of coconut milk in wine (won earlier at UK bank holiday monday village fete at a coconut shy) but seems it could be too oily for wine and could suffocate the yeast.

Profile picture just taken of one of the elderberrys going strong.

Welcome to WMT!
20110803_181507_kgo_057.gif

Thats cuz most of the time we are sampling our goods! :)

What do you mean ibglowin I am sampling my wine all the time thats why I am happy all the time Welcome to the forum tell us more about yourself what types of fruit do you have over there I was surprise when you said elderberry I just got done harvesting mine for this year

jtstar

Thanks. In the hedgerows at the moment here is the biggest crop of crabapples I have ever seen after the dryest Spring on record, excellent early Summer and damp late Summer. Now that we are approaching Autumn [Fall] it is a little cooler and some leaves are starting to brown a little and fall. In the hedgerows there are still some elderberries in sheltered places, but past their best now. Good time now for blackberries. Excellent crop of slows, though I have read that it is best to pick when they have shrivelled a little, so not picking them yet. Lots of rose-hips. I live in a fairly sunny medium sized town of about 70,000 population near the centre of England, make furniture for a living and enjoy walking our 8mth old Yorkshire Terrier in the evenings with my wife. Very little garden so relying on hedgerow gathering and not much space for winemaking until the children have grown and fled so that will do for now.

Hello fellow brit.

Did two years training at R.A.F. Halton in the mid sixties. This is a very friendly site as long as you don't mention . . . "you Colonials" !

They don't arf 'ave some weird ingredients in their wines over 'ere. There are a crackin' bunch of smilies on this website. Cheers, Tony.

Hi, there's a few of us Brit's around on here. It's a nice friendly site.
I too am a hedgerow gatherer although I also grow stuff. Are you doing anything with sloes this year? They are abundant now.

Last edited:
Welcome to Wine Making Talk. I worked for Kodak for many years and had the pleasure of working with a number of Brits over the years and traveling to both England and Scotland. I love the British sense of humor. A quick example:

It was in mid November a few years back and a group of Kodak employess, both British and American, were enjoying an after work libation. The conversation got around to the up coming Thanksgiving Holiday and all the great food that was anticipated. One of the Americans asked a Brit, "How do you celebrate Thanksgiving in England?" whereupon another American said, "You dummy! They don't celebrate Thanksgiving in England. That's an American holiday!" Our British friend answered, "Well, actually, we do, except that we celebrate on July 4th!" :)

Tony, [Kleftiwallah] thanks for the welcome. RAF Halton is only about 5 miles from my house! Glad for the good changes since the old colonial period! Especially since the open doors to conversation which the internet has brought. Small world! Al.

Rocky, Funny :) There is a push to make St. George's day a bank holiday, but what with Royal Wedding and Golden Jubilee next year, it will probably have to wait at least one more year.

Latest posts

Back