Hello from Shanghai

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an American expat in Shanghai.

Just set up to do my first two experimental batches of wine - an orange wine and a banana wine - when this latest COVID wave hit. So I'm sitting here at home with 6 bottles of Orange wine and 4 bottles of Banana wine aging - I bottled them a week ago.

I am trying to do a bubbly wine so I bottled them with added yeast and sugar. Will see if this works - will pop open the first bottle in mid-June.

Meanwhile, I am hoping we get out of lockdown in time for me to drink it at a dinner in a restaurant, but I am not optimistic.

I just bought some bulk frozen blueberries. My wife will use most of them for pies and jams and we will use some for yoghurt smoothies, but we will also allocate about a Kg to do a 2 liter batch of blueberry wine and see how it turns out. If it works well I can buy more blueberries an do bigger batches of blueberry wine. The frozen blueberries are more reasonably priced than fresh blueberries.

Welcome to WMT!
One of my favorite TV shows is Andrew Zimmern's "Bizarre Foods" and I'm always drooling when he's in Asia. So many wonderful unusual foods.
Good luck with the wine!

Welcome to WMT. Enjoy the forum. Have you considered Lychee as an option?

Will find out the next time we do a big dinner. I'm also working on losing weight (15 kilos in a year! Hoo ha!) so I only eat a big enough dinner to justify a bottle on a special occasion.

We were going to go out yesterday, but Minhang, my area of Shanghai, has closed all restaurants due to COVID.

Will find out the next time we do a big dinner. I'm also working on losing weight (15 kilos in a year! Hoo ha!) so I only eat a big enough dinner to justify a bottle on a special occasion.

We were going to go out yesterday, but Minhang, my area of Shanghai, has closed all restaurants due to COVID.
Cool! That's 1.25 kilos a month. Is it working?:) Then you need a bottle or two.😁

Latest posts

Back