Hello from Northern Ontario.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael-s

Reaction score
Hello everyone from Northern Ontario. I joined Wine Making Talk today but have been reading here for a short while. Being retired now for 1/2 year I wanted to learn wine making having more free time to do as I please. I just started making wine from kits with no experience at all and being able to get answers to my questions I had helped me tremendously. People here are friendly and more than willing to help with those that have questions.
Michael-s

There is soo much to lean here ! and soo many friends as well !

So please ask away !!

Welcome! I hope to see you around the forums.

It's always good to have another Canuck around! Where abouts in Northern Ontario?

Hi Michael, welcome. I am new here also! This message comes from Wisconsin. I am learning wine and cider making and am trying to see if it can become a viable business.

Brad
Harper Valley Farm LLC, Sparta, Wi

Good morning everyone and thank you for your warm welcomes. Good luck ceramicbrad with your possible business venture. If you do go that route I hope it all works out well.

Michael.

Good morning everyone and thank you for your warm welcomes. Good luck ceramicbrad with your possible business venture. If you do go that route I hope it all works out well.

Michael.

Welcome aboard!

I've learned a lot here since joining the forum less than a year ago.

hello .......... the-rayway

Where I live in Ontario is if you are going by car it is about a 4 hour drive North of Toronto. In the Greater City of Sudbury which is now made up of the city of Sudbury but also the outlying smaller communities which became amalgamated with the City of Sudbury. The town I live in is Dowling and is about 1/2 hour drive West of City of Sudbury.
On a clear day if I look north from my home I can see the Igloos, Dog sleds and Seals too, if I really look carefully. :)

Where I live in Ontario is if you are going by car it is about a 4 hour drive North of Toronto. In the Greater City of Sudbury which is now made up of the city of Sudbury but also the outlying smaller communities which became amalgamated with the City of Sudbury. The town I live in is Dowling and is about 1/2 hour drive West of City of Sudbury.
On a clear day if I look north from my home I can see the Igloos, Dog sleds and Seals too, if I really look carefully. :)
You are nearly in God's Country! I love Northern Ontario! I used to go fishing a couple times a year in Gogama but I have not been there in 12 years! I think I'll plan a return trip sometime next summer!
By the way welcome to WMT!

*After* made my post, I came across a reference that Sudbury was the site of major asteroid event. In fact, this impact (as I am sure you know) is believed to be the second-largest ever on Earth, and it occurred 1.85 billion years ago! You are living in the impact zone!

You are nearly in God's Country! I love Northern Ontario! I used to go fishing a couple times a year in Gogama but I have not been there in 12 years! I think I'll plan a return trip sometime next summer!
By the way welcome to WMT!

Hello pjd, Gogama is just a short drive away from us, on the way to Timmins.
Going to Gogama following Hwy. 144 you go thru Dowling heading up to Gogama. I have family, my nieces and brother in law in Timmins. Have been there many times.

Hello sour_grapes, Yes indeed this area was impaced long ago. It is called the Sudbury Basin. The history of this place started with a major railway going thru the area and someone finding ore around an area that became know as Murray Mine. There is an historical plack there now. That accidental find led to mining of that ore all around the Sudbury Basin. Mining started here over a hundred years ago and there are still today many mines still mining the ore that contains nickel, copper and tons of precious metals. There seems to be no end to the amount of proven reserves here. Thousands of people are employed by the 2 major mining companies here and probably thousands more by the contract companies that own mines here also and companies that supply for the major mine companies here, which are Vale and Glencore/Xstrata. I worked at the first company Vale as a tradesman and finally took my company pension just this past July 1st 2013. If you look on the internet you can find many historic old pictures related to Sudbury and the mining that has been going on here for so long, with no end in site.

I had no idea until I stumbled across this that most of the gold that is near the surface of the Earth was brought here by asteroids. Evidently, the thought is that the gold that was part of the stuff that formed Earth to begin with has sunk to the Earth's core. The only accessible gold, therefore, is the stuff that arrived later, after the Earth cooled off. The Vredefort Crater, formed by an asteroid impact 2 bn years ago, in South Africa is the source of that region's gold riches. I never knew this!

Cool, I have an igloo in my back yard for 6 months out of the year :) Well, ok, it's actually a quinzy.

When I was a teenager my family did a road trip to the east coast and we went right by where you are :)

Anyways, keep us posted on what you are up to, and don't forget to ask questions!

:b
Raelene

Technically, latitude wise you are closer to the igloos and polar bears than I am............. not by much though. Long winters here sometimes though and in Winnipeg too.

Latest posts

Back