Hello from new winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrive22

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is John. I am from cincinnati OH and I just started making wine and beer 9/2013. I have only made wine from kits but I have 4 Chilean juice buckets I am picking up tomorrow. So far I have made a California pinot grigio, cabernet sauv, merlot, pinot noir and an Argentine Malbec.

I'm looking forward to learning a bunch here. I want to try with fresh grapes and I think I need to try skeeter pee and dragon blood from reading a bunch of posts about those.

Welcome to WMT. There's a lot of experienced winemakers here , just ask before not after ;)

Welcome to the forum!

I made 8 kits before recently trying my hand at making a batch of Dragon Blood (DB). The DB came out fantastic and I highly recommend you give it a try.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Welcome! I have 6 gal of DB going in the bottle Sat. It's clear and beautiful. Like you, skeeter pee is on my "must do" list also

Welcome John! I am just back from Listermanns picking up my buckets. It looks busy!

They seemed well chilled. Oddly, some were frozen solid and others were thawed. I'm guessing it depends on sugar content.

Pam in cinti

Welcome John! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info and great ppl here.

Thanks for the welcoming responses everyone.

Cintipam, I picked mine up around 4 yesterday. I haven't done anything with mine yet. I think they are still warming up.

Do you check ph? Do you know if there is k-meta in them already? Are you going to add yeast to yours or hope the yeast in then works?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Hi John

These are the same Luva Bella buckets everyone else is getting, and they are fresh off the truck. I've read they they already have yeast, prob the Lalvin 1118 which is not my yeast of choice for these. As of now I let them warm up a bit then put in the Kmeta to stun existing yeast last night. Later today I'll do the tests and add Pectin etc so I can make a yeast starter to toss in late tonight. I will also add some raisons wood chips and frozen fruit depending on variety.

I have read that adding wood chips, esp french, causes a chemical reaction that needs lots of room so will do that with just a gallon or so of must before I add rest of must to that bucket.

Pam in cinti

John, just got back from a second trip to Listermanns. They might still have some buckets left from no shows, so give them a call if interested. Last I heard there was still a Merlot and a couple Moscotels.

thought I'd mention it. 513 731 1130.

Pam in cinti

Welcome to the forum! I am a Bearcat, lived in cincy while at UC. I am in Maryland now but go back for skyline every chance I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Heatherd skyline is always good and I'm a bearcat too!

Cintipam have you added oak chips and raisins to primary?
I haven't adddd anything yet. I might just add raisins at secondary. And oak it after.

Hi John

Yes, I put American oak chips, raisins, and mixed dark berries into my Cab Sauv. Strawberries into the Moscato, mixed tropical fruit into the Pinot Grigio, and gooseberries into the Gewurztraminer. So far I'm thrilled with all but the PG. Too much peach coming forward now, but I"m confident that will change over time.

Gotta go rack 3 now, another will be due by tomorrow, and the last by Monday. So glad I've been obsessed with obtaining large carboys!!

Pam in cinti

Cintipam. Thanks for info. My buckets are going slow. They are at about 1.040 a week in. My temps are kinda low side though, around mid to high 60s

Back