Hello from Illinois

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kire

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just started in home winemaking, and I can already tell that this is going to be an addiction of a hobby in need of a serious intervention. :h Within the course of a few weeks I started the following:
First: Island Mist - Mango Symphony
Second: Riesling Ice Wine Style​

I've also just picked up, and ready to start the following within the next couple of weeks:
Third: Mosti Mondiale Amarone
Fourth: Wine Expert Port​

I am curious if this is a strange question, but does anyone out there strategically plan what kits to start and when in order to maximize the use of their fermenters/car boys and/or gift giving? I am trying to develop a sort of schedule of short term vs long term aging wine kits so that I always have an inventory without opening those "touch me not" wines. Anyone have any recommendations in fairly early drinking wines?

Look forward to participating in the forums......and filling every room of my house with carboys and bottles!

Welcome Kire, IMO the only early drinking wines would be Light white wines and the new craze Skeeter Pee.

Welcome to the forum Kire. I live in Joliet too (at least for a few more years that is).

Welcome!
Making wine is like planning a party. Planning wine takes longer though. So, If you have a "party" comming up you need to plan on how long before drinking. The "mist" type wine provide a fast to bottle and are enjoyed by most. If you are just starting out you want some fast to bottle wine to boost up tour "cellar" supply. I would also make a "bigger" wine that would need aging in the mix.
The BEST plan is get more carboys!:slp
Now if you do and decide its not for you WE will buy them !
LOL !

Yes indeed, welcome to the forum. Planning, I agree with the others and as Tom stated; like "planning a party". Just keep it fun, the learning will come as the teachers are here. I just spent hours reading through the various threads. WOW.

Joliet Area Club?

Anyone of you from the Joliet area know of any winemaking clubs in the area. Just started in October and just looking for a club or others who might be interested in getting together and share bottles now and then so maybe I can try a kit to see if I like it before I buy and start to make it and vice versa.

Hi bison23 and welcome to the forum! I don't belong to it but there is a club of northern Il and Ind. folks that call their group "corkers without borders". You can try and find them over on winepress forum. Another organization that you might like that I do belong to is the IGGVA you can check them out on the Illinois wine website.The annual conference usually has alot of great seminars.

Anyone of you from the Joliet area know of any winemaking clubs in the area. Just started in October and just looking for a club or others who might be interested in getting together and share bottles now and then so maybe I can try a kit to see if I like it before I buy and start to make it and vice versa.
Hi Bison23!

I'm not a member of a local club (haven't been able to find one or track down "corkers without borders" as Racer mentioned), but more than willing to start one with others. Perhaps we can convince Brew and Grow in Bolingbrook to host the meetings once a month? I can certainly ask if they are willing to do that.

Feel free to PM me, and perhaps we can meet up!

Latest posts

Back