Hello from Hemmingford, Quebec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chouettes

Reaction score
Hi all.
Started making wine three years ago. My first was 2010 Elderberry wine and then made Mead (metheglyn). Every autumn I make about 6 gal. of Elderberry. I also made a kit wine. I like to experiment...I really enjoy all the resource that you have made available to newbies like me. Thank you in advance

Carole

Hello Carole! I'm a newbie to this forum as well and I am an hour west of Ottawa Ontario. This is my first year making Elderberry wine. We planted a long hedge of elderberries 4 or 5 years ago and I have just made 18 gallons - one red, one blush and one blended between the two. They are still in the secondaries. What recipe do you follow? I had no idea which one to go with so I kind of modified one from here and also from another site. How long do youngest before you drink yours? Nice to have you here! Carolyn

Thank you/Merci for the warm welcome...Glad to be part of such a friendly group. Salut to Drummondville, Sherbrooke and Morrisonville.

Last edited:
God bless your heart Welcome aboard!! Any questions just ask. There is some amazing people and information here!

Hello Carole! I'm a newbie to this forum as well and I am an hour west of Ottawa Ontario. This is my first year making Elderberry wine. We planted a long hedge of elderberries 4 or 5 years ago and I have just made 18 gallons - one red, one blush and one blended between the two. They are still in the secondaries. What recipe do you follow? I had no idea which one to go with so I kind of modified one from here and also from another site. How long do youngest before you drink yours? Nice to have you here! Carolyn

Hello ckvchestnut.
Nice to meet you. I was born in Ottawa and still have family living there.
The recipe I followed was, I think, from the WineMaker Magazine. I've searched to give you the link but cannot find it. I have the recipe written down and would gladly post it if you like. I have only 6 bottles left of my first Elderberry wine; it was so good. I waited a year before drinking;I felt it tasted right. My 2012 Elderberry is a heavy-bodied wine (I used 5 lbs. of fruit per gallon) It's still bulk-aging and is not ready to drink yet. Needs to mellow. I hope I have answered your question correctly. If not, let me know....Take care.

That's wonderful Carole! Glad to know there are people out there making a great tasting elderberry wine! I don't know about others but mine tasted pretty decent even when racking from the primary to the secondaries! It made me think boy this is only going to get better!!

I was also born in Ottawa! Lived there until 7 years ago when we bought our farm. We just have a small 50 acre hobby farm with horses and a lot of other critters as well as all the fruit I'd been planting. I get a huge crop of raspberries every year. Am still waiting on my highbush blueberries, cranberries and service berries. It's fun for sure!

Latest posts

Back