WineXpert Happy customer tonight & getting a LE Pacific Quartet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I may give mine an extra racking and some more time. I did notice the isinglass had big white floaty chunkies when we added it, was a bit strange but most of the red kits come with chitosan I believe.

OK, I may give mine an extra racking and some more time. I did notice the isinglass had big white floaty chunkies when we added it, was a bit strange but most of the red kits come with chitosan I believe.

I would just give it some time. Clearing is dependent on a number of factors, including temperature, and it's entirely possible someone making the exact same wine on the same schedule has their wine clear faster (or slower) than yours without any issue in the end.

I would just give it some time. Clearing is dependent on a number of factors, including temperature, and it's entirely possible someone making the exact same wine on the same schedule has their wine clear faster (or slower) than yours without any issue in the end.

Also, make sure you degassed it enough. My first wine, I had that problem. My temp was cool in the house and I was told I had some cold fermenting going on. Had to degas it more and added another clarifier and with time it dropped out mostly. I have since, bought a couple heat belts which I used on this batch and it was a huge difference.

It is degassed, I vacuum rack my wine and leave it under vacuum. No bubbles coming up under 20" hg. Also have a heat belt on it keeping it to 19 c. I'm in no rush, the older the better before it's drank! My lhbs also said this one seems to take longer to clear.

ridereh

:rdoI WOULD USE CAUTION ON HOW DEEP OF A VACUUM YOUR PULLING YOU COULD IMPLODE THE CARBOY :rdo

FYI mine has been clearing for over 45 days. I even racked 3 weeks after I put the isinglass in, still not clear.

Assuming it's fully degassed, I can't answer why it isn't clearing.
If it were me, I would try a dose of SuperKleer. But I'm impatient. There may be an underlying problem that should be addressed first. Hopefully one of the more experienced voices will chime in.

I really need to get off my butt and get these guys bottled.

So Lori, I've really really been wanting the SLE Oregon Pinot Noir Wine Kit, but I waited too long and everyone was sold out.
I emailed Matt @ Labelpeelers and told him that I knew it was a longshot but did they have any left over. Guess what?! He had one left and let me have it!
These guys are so fantastic. That's twice now that I've been able to get something I really wanted through them.
I'll definitely start using them regularly.

Mine seems to be clearing a bit more finally, though still going very slow. I plan on giving it an extra racking this weekend to help progress it.

Finally bottled the first of these kits.

I got two and tweaked one of them, made the other as is.

I just bottled the as is version and it is absolutely superb.

Next weekend I'll be bottled the other. I subbed D47 for the yeast and last time I tasted it was great too.

Finally bottled the first of these kits.

I got two and tweaked one of them, made the other as is.

I just bottled the as is version and it is absolutely superb.

Next weekend I'll be bottled the other. I subbed D47 for the yeast and last time I tasted it was great too.

Sounds like you've been doing quite a bit of tasting, while bottling.. Either way, by next weekend, you'll be bottled. :d:wy

Well, Jeri, what's the verdict?? I've just read this whole thread and am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how the yeast comparison turned out. It sounds like the "as is" version was great, but in the early stages the D47 version seemed to be in the lead. I can't wait to hear!
- Nell

What I've read is that yeast changes in wine affect the wine more at a younger age and the differences tend to fade as the wine ages. Im very curious whether this is true. I have been trying yeast substitutions but havent been able to do any as is comparisons.

Latest posts

Back