WineXpert Happy customer tonight & getting a LE Pacific Quartet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made the previous versions of this kit and it has always been great and my first choice to give someone if I don't know their tastes - That being said I don't know if changing the yeast will do much with this kit because a vast majority of the flavor comes from the F-pack

It would be very interesting to do a side-by-side tasting of this wine with the different yeasts. I think the differences would be more subtle than anything, and the f-pack might negate those differences some. There'd be only one way to know for sure, though!

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use the F pac. I'm not a real big fan of them because they're pretty much just sugar, water and artificial flavorings.
If the yeast does what I'm hoping it will, I won't have to use it. Maybe just a little back sweetening.

Sent from my iPhone

I doubt there are any artificial flavorings in the F-pack - they are mostly just sugar and juice (together as concentrate)

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use the F pac. I'm not a real big fan of them because they're pretty much just sugar, water and artificial flavorings.
If the yeast does what I'm hoping it will, I won't have to use it. Maybe just a little back sweetening.

I'm not sure the f-pack for this kit has artificial flavorings (unlike some of the wine cooler type kits). More than likely it is just juice/concentrate. The nutrition/ingredient label should tell you whether that's the case, though.

The f-packs I've seen in kits do not mention any details of what it is made of. At least the 2 that I made, WE Riesling Icewine and now this Australian Grenache Rose. I will double check again when I get home later.

The f-packs I've seen in kits do not mention any details of what it is made of. At least the 2 that I made, WE Riesling Icewine and now this Australian Grenache Rose. I will double check again when I get home later.

I think all wine kits are required to have a nutrition/ingredient label on the outside box, so if there is anything useful it will be there. Like all ingredient labels, however, they can probably be vague about certain things ('other natural and artificial flavors...'). It's been some time since I've made a kit with an f-pack included.

I think all wine kits are required to have a nutrition/ingredient label on the outside box, so if there is anything useful it will be there. Like all ingredient labels, however, they can probably be vague about certain things ('other natural and artificial flavors...'). It's been some time since I've made a kit with an f-pack included.

Nothing useful on mine. Other than "natural and/or artificial flavors" as the last ingredient. Go figure ;)

To me, they taste VERY artificial. IMHO, they are adding sweetness just to guarantee a drinkable & predictable wine. Similar to adding MSG.

I usually taste the Fpacs when I start the wine and make a preliminary decision as to whether or not I will use them. I will admit, this one is much nicer than most kits. It is a little thinner (not like corn syrup), tastes and has a color more like juice concentrate. It's also pretty small compared to other kits Fpacs. Probably not more than 4 cups.

Don't you guys think that all F-packs are not created equally. I would think an En Primeur F-pack is quite different from an Orchard Breezin F-pack.:rdo

Ok,
I've started the mass sanitizing and I'm about to start both kits.

I'll use the yeast it came with and the D47.

There may not be much difference but it will be interesting to see if there is anything that will translate out.

Eta: Ok, both batches are started.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone had a bottling weekend :D.

good plan with the yeasts. especially since you are doing them at the same time. That will ensure all conditions like temp are equal.

I did! It was only one batch though. We had some gardening things to do, after which my body reminded me that I'm sitting on 40's front porch.
As a result, I got precious little done.
I've got higher hopes for this next weekend, wish me luck!
I'm wanting to at least get two batches bottled, more mulch out in the garden, and two more garden arbors made.

Back to the kits...
I've got both batches in buckets with lids/airlocks. I don't want anything happening to these babies!
The D47 airlock is gently bubbling now. The batch with the KV-1116 had no activity so I peeled the lid back a bit. Sounds like Rice Krispies in there so I'm happy for now.

Before work this morning I checked SG on both wines. 1.00 for both.

I moved both buckets up higher, let them settle again all day and just finished racking both to secondary.

And of course I had to taste test and have Manthing blind taste test.

The D47 smells good, has an almost floral taste to it, and is going to be smooth once it gets some age on it. So far I think this was a good tweak and I'm pretty excited about it.

The KV-1116 tastes completely different. COMPLETELY. It's still going to be good but right now all I can smell is the hot alcohol. It tastes....hot and dry. I really can't pick out anything else in it right now.

Jericurl,
I love a good yeast test! I actually like K1V even though it has a reputation as a workhorse yeast, but find that it shines more in cooler temps with some real floral and fruity contributions. That being said, D47 is my favorite widely available white wine yeast, typically gives a bit more heft on the palate.

Keep us posted on how these mature!

Don't worry, I will definitely continue to post updates on this.

I've heard nothing but good things about KV-1116.

I know I flubbed up a bit with the temperatures.
It was plenty cool when I pitched the yeast, but yesterday and today the temperatures outside hit 90. It was probably pretty consistently between 75-80 in the house because we couldn't bear turning on the air conditioner so soon. It seems like once you turn it on, you don't turn it off again until October!
It's probably best if I just use that yeast in the dead of winter when I know I can keep the ferment temperatures lower.
I'm not disappointed though. I really do think it's going to be a fantastic wine out of both kits.

Jeri, that's sounds like an amazing difference. You are telling me what I hoped to hear about the D-47. From what I read, it benefits from sitting on the lees a little longer than most and tends to bring out the fruit more. My thought on changing from the provided yeast, was that they will always put it what will be pretty foolproof. So I wanted to experiment a little. You not getting anything near what the D47 is doing is promising. (at least for the D47 batch, lol.
I have to rack and start cling mine today. I have been gone all week and it's been ignored. I can't wait to taste it. I'll report back what my nose tells me.

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I always have trouble describing things.

Checked my carboys this morning.
The D47 is still bubbling every few seconds.

The K batch hasn't moved as far as I can tell.
I'm wondering if the D47 will eventually get down to the dry and hot taste when it's done bubbling.

Gonna be racking for fining in a day or so but I took a sample this morning just to check it out and OMFG, is this wine incredible. Another 16 days or so till bottling but this is gonna be good.

The K batch is clearing very nicely on it's own.

The D47 batch still has occasional air lock bubbles and is not anywhere near thinking about clearing.
I've got a few more days til I move on to the next stage.
I'm already thinking about labeling and if I'm going to rename or not.
I think I will do both batches pretty much identical, just put different colored PVC seals on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back