WineXpert Happy customer tonight & getting a LE Pacific Quartet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has been clearing for a week with D47and is nearly clear. I used the Chitosan provided although I was leaning toward Super Kleer.
Jeri, at racking for clearing last wee, the taste was amazing. I was picking up a little citrus and something almost like vanilla or cotton candy. Very slight, but it was there and very interesting to me. I think I'm really going to like this.

Mine has been clearing for a week with D47and is nearly clear. I used the Chitosan provided although I was leaning toward Super Kleer.
Jeri, at racking for clearing last wee, the taste was amazing. I was picking up a little citrus and something almost like vanilla or cotton candy. Very slight, but it was there and very interesting to me. I think I'm really going to like this.

QA23 worked well. This stuff tastes wonderful already. Im in the last 14 days of fining now. Lori, would you suggest keeping it at 70 degrees for the last step or dropping the temp for the last week?

QA23 worked well. This stuff tastes wonderful already. Im in the last 14 days of fining now. Lori, would you suggest keeping it at 70 degrees for the last step or dropping the temp for the last week?

Shadow, I'm probably not the one to ask about that. I live on the South Texas coast and if I can keep my house at 76º I'm happy. Needless to say I don't really get the opportunity to keep my wine as cool as I would like. I have a 22 bottle wine cooler, but that's it. The rest sit in a 76º office most of the time.
Who knows what it would taste like if I could keep it at 70º?
I can tell you if I COULD keep it that low, I sure would.

Mine has been clearing for 3 weeks now, still a bit foggy. I'm on about day 50 overall. Not all of the sediment has dropped out. Almost fully degassed by vacuum degassing. Normally I would rack again about now, but I am renovating my house and don't want to risk any dust contamination.

Well, I'm actually on day 12 in secondary.
When I get home from work today, I'll add all the fining stuff.

What was the general consensus, did everyone add the entire f-pac or not?
From what I tasted last time, I'm not sure it needed it.
Of course, I'll taste it this evening but wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

I usually only add 1/2 of the F-Pack that comes with the white wines. A full one would be too sweet for my taste but I do like an off dry white to go with spicy asian dishes etc. I always open the F-Pack and pour 1/2 into the Primary up front and save the rest of the bottle etc. for addition once stabilized. You may as well use it and bump up the ABV just a tad.

I added the entire fpac. It's only about 2 cups and was quite tasty actually. Not syrupy-sweet like most. This pac was more of a true juice. Even looked like it.
I didn't think it was going to overpower the citrus I like in this wine and it hasn't. I'm not a good tasting note person, but I would describe it as off-dry and med to light body. Similar to a Gris, but a little fruitier. I'm thinking about buying another if I can still get one.

Well, I'm actually on day 12 in secondary.
When I get home from work today, I'll add all the fining stuff.

What was the general consensus, did everyone add the entire f-pac or not?
From what I tasted last time, I'm not sure it needed it.
Of course, I'll taste it this evening but wanted to see what everyone else was doing.
I added the entire F pack and it is perfect.

You guys are making me excited about mine. I have a couple more in line in front of it before I get some empty carboys though. I'd bump it up to the front based on this thread, but I've already made the labels for the other batches and have a date code on there so that I'll recognize exactly when they were made, what kit number, and i'll many times I've made this kit a couple years from now

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Racked mine it's last time this weekend to finish clearing. 7 more weeks and I bottle, drink a month after that. I usually don't bottle until 3-4 months after I start the kit though. I bottled my Pinot Grigio Selection this weekend, very nice, first white I ever made.

Racked mine it's last time this weekend to finish clearing. 7 more weeks and I bottle, drink a month after that. I usually don't bottle until 3-4 months after I start the kit though. I bottled my Pinot Grigio Selection this weekend, very nice, first white I ever made.

Why so long? Do you put in a solid bung to keep oxygen out?

Racked mine for the final clearing today.I will probably bottle it in about 6 weeks after vacation. It's crystal clear so I doubt much lees will fall out. I'm not going to filter this.
It is a perfect wine for me. I am still getting a nice citrus aroma and today I picked up a little honey. Can't wait to see what is in store 6 months from now. (I would say a year from now, but I'm betting it won't last that long. )

Why so long? Do you put in a solid bung to keep oxygen out?

I keep mine under vacuum, and vacuum rack mine as well to get all of the oxygen out. I bulk age (though 3-4 months is hardly bulk aging) to get a better quality wine, and prevent myself from drinking it. Right now I have 8 kits on the go in order to age them well before drinking, my wine rack holds just over 250 bottles. If you want a good read go here and read item 2): https://winemakermag.com/459-make-your-kit-wine-shine

I keep mine under vacuum, and vacuum rack mine as well to get all of the oxygen out. I bulk age (though 3-4 months is hardly bulk aging) to get a better quality wine, and prevent myself from drinking it. Right now I have 8 kits on the go in order to age them well before drinking, my wine rack holds just over 250 bottles. If you want a good read go here and read item 2): https://winemakermag.com/459-make-your-kit-wine-shine

Good read, Thanks for posting.

Im bottling it tonight. Nothing has fallen out of it in the last 2 weeks and its crystal clear, and tastes wonderful.

What an awesome bottling last night. So very clear and absolutely no loss. I got 30 bottles and 1 glass out of it. Im so happy with this one that I went and got another Pacific Quartet kit Friday. They had one left. :tz:db

What an awesome bottling last night. So very clear and absolutely no loss. I got 30 bottles and 1 glass out of it. Im so happy with this one that I went and got another Pacific Quartet kit Friday. They had one left. :tz:db

My notes are mirroring yours. I am amazed at how well it has cleared. I see no sediment after the last racking and for the first time ever, I think I may get close to 30 bottles too. I usually end up with a 5 gal that I have to top off. Not this one. I have a 5 gal, a 750 ML and a split.

Both batches are crystal clear.

I'm being lazy so I'm just going to let them sit for a bit until I get around to cleaning some more bottles.
We tasted both batches last night. They are both delicious but the D47 is hands down smoother. I seriously can't believe the taste difference from just using a different yeast.
I am very happy with both batches and glad that just a small little tweak turned out so well.

Mine isn't clearing well, quite foggy compared to my pinot grigio. A bit disappointed as my pinot cleared very quickly. Are everyone else's glass clear or a bit foggy?

Both batches are crystal clear.

I'm being lazy so I'm just going to let them sit for a bit until I get around to cleaning some more bottles.
We tasted both batches last night. They are both delicious but the D47 is hands down smoother. I seriously can't believe the taste difference from just using a different yeast.
I am very happy with both batches and glad that just a small little tweak turned out so well.

I'm glad to hear you say that about the D47. I wasn't sure if the kit was jsut that good, or it was the yeast. I just started a test a couple of days ago using D47 against Premier Cuvee that was provided with a Pinot Blanc kit. So far, the D47 is much fruiter.

Mine isn't clearing well, quite foggy compared to my pinot grigio. A bit disappointed as my pinot cleared very quickly. Are everyone else's glass clear or a bit foggy?

From reading this thread, I think everyone's has cleared just fine. Most withing weeks.

Latest posts

Back