Greetings from the Netherlands

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Chris Mellor

Junior
Reaction score
Good day to you all:)

I've just started wine making after many years of not wine making. I used to make it (from cheap kits) more than 30 years ago (wasn't very good though).

Now I have (limited) time and to be honest, a little more resource and a better sense of taste...

I've taken up the hobby again.

At the moment I have Celery, Jasmine Tea, Strawberry and Clove/Ginger on the go. All the recipes came from CJJ Berry's book which I do find most useful.

Hoping to take advice and learn from everyone on here.

Thank you

Chris

Chris Mellor

Junior
Reaction score
What part of The Netherlands are you from?
Hoi ;)

I'm actually a Brit settled here many years ago. I live around Den Haag.

Arkansas is more than a little different than NL:)

NL is great but it doesn't have much of a home brew tradition - we have a few stores but the tend to be out of the area.

The Dutchman

Junior
Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember having to order all my brewing stuff online because the nearest brew store was about an hour and a half away.
Arkansas sure is a lot different than NL, definitely had to get used to that haha.
I used to live on the island of Texel so I very much miss being able to go to the beach.

Are you planning on making any wines from grapes? or just sticking with fruits for now?

Chris Mellor

Junior
Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember having to order all my brewing stuff online because the nearest brew store was about an hour and a half away.
Arkansas sure is a lot different than NL, definitely had to get used to that haha.
I used to live on the island of Texel so I very much miss being able to go to the beach.

Are you planning on making any wines from grapes? or just sticking with fruits for now?
haha - Texel - yup - it's about 90 mins to Almere. Better to mail order. Saves the pain of Almere ;)

We love Texel - have a house near Ecomare. Never go during summer - way too many tourists.

So wines - I'm only doing Fruit wines. Haagse Markt has quite a good selection - and I'm still very new to all this - so finding out a lot about space and how to move things around (you know how big our houses aren't).

I have to say though that the Jasmine Tea wine that I have on the go is pretty amazing stuff. I'm looking forwards to when that is cleared and aged a bit. Will probably make some more in meantime...

Cherry and Strawberry again soon for sure and also maybe Anise...

It's coming for holiday season - so - best leave things so they can be left alone before starting stuff up I think:)