Got off the Phone with the Fermaid people

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's an idea!

I buy bulk grain in group buys as much as possible and hops in bulk direct from the farm. For the hops, I tend to pay 30-40% less than retail and get them at harvest.

For instance, I get 1lb of cascade pellets for $14 and the retailers get $24. Since it comes from Washington, I buy a lot to save on shipping. Now I have a good amount of hops to get me through the year.

This thing is moving slow. Gone down .25 Brix. I've been trying to oxygenate it to help with my stir stick bit it won't really budge.

It's sitting upstairs at 70F. No visible krausen of sorts. I'd be embarrassed to say there is airlock activity however, it's the slightest bit.

This thing will either stall out or take months to finish.

Beer fermentation are much more exciting.

Still normal?

One question though. for mead, are you recommending that the nutrient additions take place at pitch or following lag?

With wine, I would do at end of lag, with mead I like to give it nutrient to start of with. . But do not rehydrate in the nutrients.

How long has it been since pitch and what was your pitching rate. Does it taste carbonated?

84 hours since pitch. I pitched .44g/L but also did a rehydrate with GoFerm and a 15 minute starter.

I did not use nutrient during rehydration.

Based on an ale pitching rate, I'm way under. Not sure how closely related they are.

Maybe the solution would be to grab a refill of pure O2 and pitch 25g of yeast?

ImageUploadedByWine Making1426003931.067738.jpg

If it looks like it is going I would still be patient. However, there should be little harm in pitching more if it makes you feel better.

One of the reasons why pitching rates for beer is so high is that brewers Sometimes like to limit the time spent in the growth phase which can impart some fruity flavors which are sometimes considered off flavors. That and the lower sugar content puts a lot of pressure to get the fermentation rolling faster to avoid spoiling.

I don't think more yeast is needed if your pack was viable, but it wouLd not hurt it either. So, it is your call.

I pitched 15g of rehydrated yeast. The initial 10g wasn't moving fast enough to keep me from being concerned about the bad stuff from taking hold.

Been around 10 hours and I see the movement that I was looking for. I moved it into the keezer at 11C.

Now will just monitor for 1/3 and 1/2 depletion.

Yeah, if you got the movement that makes you happy 10 hrs after the addition, I don't think the extra yeast is what did it.. However, on the plus side, your fermentation is now moving and that is all that matters.

Out of curiosity, what are you fermenting in?

a 7 gallon fermentation bucket. I am using the airlock for initial inspection but know that the buckets aren't always great with the seal so I am using gravity readings for actuals.

Most wine makers tend to do open fermentation up until pressing or until when the fermentation starts dying down. The exception being for whites where some will do the whole ferment under cover. your choice of course.

I see. Glad I am doing the agave before the mead or wine batches.

Purely to provide O2? Any other reason?

If you are working with something like mead, it is for the o2. If you are doing grapes it is for the punch downs. For wine with grapes in it, there is little debate over whether you should do open fermentation. However, for whites, the answer is less clear. Some recommending oxygenation until end of lag before going under airlock.

Seth,

Made my mead tonight. It occurred to me that I added my whole addition of Ferm-O at pitch instead of breaking it up into thirds and staggering. Any issue with that? Should I still make some staggered additions?

It should be ok, it is just not the optimal method. If it appears that the fermentation is getting stressed you could try making an additional addition later on during the fermentation.

Well, I definitely don't need more nutrient. Checked it today and it was at
ImageUploadedByWine Making1426549211.808082.jpg

It caught me off guard because yesterday it was still at 19 Brix. Still had the cover open so hopefully the oxygen doesn't hurt too much. Anyway, closed it up and put it under airlock to finish.

The agave wine is moving much slower. I haven't quite hit 1/3 yet but added some Ferm-O and a good stir to oxygenate a bit. It's moved a few points since.

So, all in all, my first attempt has gone Ok so far. Good lessons learned. Looking forward to fall 2016 when i can taste the finished product.

Latest posts

Back