10 Successful Ferments With Homemade Yeast Nutrient.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure most people know that I have been trying to eliminate anything unnecessary or chemical in my wines, especially DAP. As things have progressed I am currently only using K-meta, acids, and pectic enzyme.

The last 10 wines I have made were all completed using bakers yeast as nutrient. I had 2 bricks that sat on the shelf for about 5 years and are very slow to ferment any breads. I didn't do anything scientific 'cause it is dirt cheap. $6 for a 2 lb brick. I looked at fermaid O for a reference, but in the end I just boiled a big spoon full, likely 1/4 cup, in 1/2 a cup of water and added a few tbsp of that to my musts.

I've added it to kits and changed out the yeast packs with no notable or unexpected flavors. I have also used it for 3 tomato, almond, and banana with 6-7 different yeast strains.

Whether you want to eliminate chemicals, or just cut costs.... It works. Very active ferments, even in the almond wine which was pretty well only a cup of almonds and sugar in the must.

Latest posts

Back