Glycerin and clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Reaction score
I added four ounces of glycerin to some clear white must that I was about ready to bottle. Now it is cloudy. I haven't used glycerin before. Does anybody know how long it will take it to clear on it's own, or will it clear?

I've never had glycerin cloud up my wine. Did you stir your wine after adding the glycerin? If you did maybe there was a fine settling of dust on the bottom that got stirred up. It should settle back down but it might take a few weeks.

I tried glycerin in a 1gallon fig....it was about 1/2 clear, then went cloudy after the glycerin....it never cleared, after about 6 mos and no sediment i tossed it.
I use superkleer for everything but blackberry, on blackberry i use egg whites...which works really well.

Like Dan, never had a problem either unless you haven't let your wine settle properly and racked before you added it or long before.

There was sediment at the bottom, but it had settled. This was a kit, and it isn't uncommon to bottle with the sediment still there. I guess my mistake was tweaking the kit with the glycerin with the sediment still at the bottom.

It added to the body of the wine and increases the viscosity when you feel it in your mouth. Personally I have never used it.

I added glycerin because I thought the must was a bit on the thin side. It is a wine expert Dry Riesling that I otherwise like. I have tried raisins before on this kit and thought I would try a bottle of glycerin and compare. Next time I will try a few bananas. I think the lesson to be learned is that 4 ounces of glycerin added to a 6 gallon carboy will stir up any sediment even without stirring. It is starting to clear again after about a week or so.

When adding glycerin i find it works better to added it to a cup (or more) of wine first and give it a good stir until its dissolved. This way it will blend with your wine more easily. Also its best practice to rack off any sediment before making additions.

cheers

Latest posts

Back