Gallon Jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertChartier

Reaction score
Hey all,
New to this. Have a couple of 5 gallon carboys. One was a gift, one I picked up.

I'd like the ability to make smaller batches, for testing, etc.

Where is a good place to get 1 gallon glass jugs? I know of a few online shops, but the shipping is killer.

I haven't found a local retailer for these yet. I've got a couple of local homebrew supply shops, but no one seems to carry 1 gallon bottles.

Do you know anyone that drinks Gallo wine in the gallon jugs? They are perfect.

If you stick with a known good recipe - I am sure you wished you would of made the 5 gallons instead of the 1 gallon batch - The cost factor is very minimal between the two.

In addition to the Gallo, there are some Carlo Rossi wines that come in a glass jug that is about 3 quarts. I'd never make such a small batch of wine, but if there is an excess in a batch, having different size small jugs allows you to retain a sample for topping off carboys, or finishing up filling the last bottle from a carboy. Unfortunately, you have to drink all that cheap wine to get the jugs. Also, you might find apple juice or cider in a gallon jug.

Check out Austin Homebrew Supply. They have $6.99 flat rate shipping, which is awesome. I just bought four gallon jugs and a bunch of other supplies from them. They arrived in perfect condition.

I also just found gallon glass jugs of organic apple juice at Whole Foods. They were $8.49, which is a bit pricey for the jug alone, but I'm going to use the juice to make apfelwein, so I figure it works out pretty well.

Last edited:
I have had good luck picking up used gallon jugs from local restaurants that use Gallo or Rossi for their house wines. Know any servers or bartenders?

Apple juice and apple cider sometimes come in gallon jugs.

Steve

Gallon jugs sure are handy for having around. You may want to check out some commercial kitchens locally. Dare I say, vinegar :< may still come in gallon jugs. Just wash them well. Occasionally I run across them on Craig's list or antique shops. I have a 3L that serves me well when the 6 gallon carboy has too much head space. I rack to a 5 gallon and the three liter with little or no waste.

BC

I used to get mine from the dump/recycle center in town. There would always be a few every time I went there. That said I would ask the guys working there to save me them and any non screw cap wine bottles and I would exchange a few full bottles of my wine for what they got me. I would only have to ask them once in a great while as I would ask them Friday night and go there late on Sat before they close and they would have about 200 bottles and about 4-6 gallon jugs and sometimes a few 3 liter jugs also. Having the 3 liter jugs come in handy also when you make a 1 gallon batch and rack off sediment to the smaller 3 liter.

If you go to a local organic food market you can find gallons of organic apple juice thy usually come in glass jugs.

Also at the same store they tend I sell juices in glass jars which come out I quarter of a gallon.

Some times craft stores or even stores which carry canning material

Thanks for all the info. Sadly, I have very little patience, and when I work overtime, well, I go buy stuff. There are a handfule of LHBS around here, but by far the most friendly, knowledgeable and cost effective is http://brew-wine.com/ in East Hartford, CT. I got the 1 gallon jugs for $5 each, and also picked up my various carboys while I was at it.

Back