Mosti Mondiale Frozen Juices Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. I just don't have the time to make the wines or find the fruit. I wish I did and as soon as we can afford to hire another employee, I am going to start making some. In the meantime, the kit is the best way to build up a stash for give-a-ways and tastings.

George, forgive the late question -- but in going back over this thread, it appears the foaming (the picture of the smaller bucket in the big bucket!) is from the reds -- but did you say it was the whites ??

-- am I missing something?
smiley5.gif

Dave

oilnh20,
Thanks for catching my typo. I edited the post and corrected it to the reds are foaming.

I have to say a big thank you to George, on the warnings. I'm barely able to keep the fermenter in the dining room right now. No telling how an overflowing red would go over.
smiley36.gif

Racked the wines into carboys today. S.G.

Merlot - 1.000
Cab Sauvignon - 1.030
Chardonnay - 1.025
Sauvignon Blanc - 1.015
Sauvignon Blanc - 1.015

Did a little taste test, but with so much residual sugar, it was hard to get much of a feel for the wines, except the Sauvignon Blanc. The citrus notes were already coming through.

20070504_163318_DSCN4726.jpg

Racking the chardonnay.

20070504_163642_DSCN4729.jpg

And this is what happens when you DON'T read the instructions. I added the oak early. You are supposed to add the oak after the wine clears.
smiley6.gif

20070504_163859_DSCN4730.jpg

It is de-gassing itself! I had to stop several times to allow the foam to die down before I could continue.

20070504_164118_DSCN4731.jpg

All of my "babies" in a row.

In case you ever wonder how many kits I keep on hand, here are some pictures of the store. We currently have 522 wine kits on hand and another 91 in transit and we still run out, on occassion.
smiley5.gif

20070504_164644_DSCN4732.jpg

20070504_164735_DSCN4733.jpg

20070504_164825_DSCN4734.jpg

And here is where I sit most of the day and my view of the chemicals and shrink wraps.

20070504_164925_DSCN4735.jpg

I am curious how everyone's MM frozen is doing... although I'm down to 992 I am still getting some tiny bubbling and foam... could this be the MLF beginning?

Mine are all down to .992 and bubbling has ceased. I plan to rack them this weekend.

From what I read, MLF is an option and you will have to innoculate with a culture to start it. If someone has a different take, please speak up.

I assumed from the instructions that MLF would begin spontaneously -- am I reading too much into it? I would like to do MLF but was assuming it would just take care of itself if I kept it at the proper temp.

From instructions:

Step
Your wine will now benefit to be left to age and mature. Remember that the malo-lactic fermentation will take several months to accomplish its task. In order to enhance the onset, it is preferable to store the carboy in a rather warm area (24°-28°C / 75°-82°F). The malo-lactic fermentation will manifest itself like a secondary fermentation by releasing minute bubbles of CO2.

Edited by: jeffpwright

George,

Thanks for the updates on your wines. It helps when I can check off a few bottles I won't need to purchase. LOL

BTW, here are the harvest conditions for the frozen juices:

Chardonnay<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Brix 22.8
Ph 3.33
TA 4.58 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 210
SO2 tot 58 ppm

Semillon/Chardonnay
Brix 22.1
Ph 3.38
TA 4.50 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 203
SO2 tot 59 ppm

Sauvignon blanc
Brix 22.2
Ph 3.31
TA 4.08 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 217
SO2 tot 58 ppm

Carmenere
Brix 22.9
Ph 3.30
TA 4.65 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 259
SO2 tot 58 ppm

Merlot
Brix 22.5
Ph 3.39
TA 4.13 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 266
SO2 tot 58 ppm

Cab Sauv
Brix 22.9
Ph 3.31
TA 4.20 gr/lt of tartaric acid ( if you want the data express in H2SO4 multiply by .653)
N2 273
SO2 tot 58 ppm

Regarding Malo:

In our juice you usually don’t need to perform the malolactic fermentation because the quantity of malic is not a lot.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
As you can see we have to add SO2 to have a better conservation during holding and shipping and as you know the SO2 is one of the limiting factors to perform malolactic fermentation.
If you really want to do malolactic you ALWAYS have to inoculate with enological bacteria to avoid any problem.

Regards,

Matteo Meglioli.

I forgot…..
PS. Do never add citric acid to correct acidity before malolactic fermentation!

How do you tell how much malo is actually present? And any idea what the critical level would be to indicate doing a MLF?

With MM saying there isn't a lot of malic present in there kits, is it worthwhile to perform malolactic fermentation, have others done so, and is the difference noticeable?

Thanks for the links Masta, very informative.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

Before you think about performing a MLF on thesebatches from the fresh juice I would test the wine for pH, TA, malic acid, and most importantly free SO2 after the primary fermentation (all sugar has been converted to ethanol/CO2) since if all these conditions are not favorable for the bacteria then you really would be wasting time and money.

The February/March issue of WineMaker magazine has multiple articles on MLF with more information to help understand the process.

Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back