Mosti Mondiale Frozen Juices Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
I am starting this thread to post our experiences with the frozen Mosti juices. Here are my five:

20070501_131321_DSCN4720.jpg

Merlot - 1.090, Cab Sauvignon - 1.095, Chardonnay - 1.095, Sauvignon Blanc - 1.090, Sauvignon Blanc - 1.090

20070501_131533_DSCN4718.jpg

The Merlot bubbling away.

20070501_131648_DSCN4719.jpg

And the Chardonnay.

The juices arrived yesterday around 2:00 pm. They were supposed to be at 28 degrees, but were closer to 40 degrees. Following the instructions, we pulled the zip strip on the lid to remove the lid, then put laid the lid back on top. The juice was pre-innoculated with the yeast, so not much to do. The only things you get with the juice is oak, labels and instructions. Boy, this is getting really close to working with the "real" McCoy.

Doesn't look like much head space there George or are the pictures presenting an optical illusion?
So when the must warms up the yeast automatically kicks in?

Based on the degree of foaming with MM kits I have seen in pics here, the headspace in those buckets is pretty marginal. Better put them in the bathtub!

These buckets are only 6.5 gallon and I have a real concern about them foaming over, but "I AM FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS!"
smiley4.gif

Here are some picture I just took:

20070501_161752_DSCN4721.JPG

Chardonnay

20070501_161908_DSCN4722.JPG

And the Merlot.

This is at the store and I am very hesitant in leaving it overnight. Might have a nice mess in the morning!
smiley7.gif

geocorn said:
This is at the store and I am very hesitant in leaving it overnight. Might have a nice mess in the morning!
smiley7.gif

Sounds like your trying to find the excuse to spend the night with your babies.................

Repeat after me........

Hi..... My name is George......... and I.....

Well... you know the rest
smiley36.gif

So are these a new offering or have you had them for a while? I haven't seen any mention of these products yet, unless the are the All-Juice kits. Looks like an interesting product. I'll be interested in following their progress.

They are the frozen juices that are available twice a year. In April from Chile and in October from Italy. They arrived in a refrigerated truck and started fermenting within 24 hours. At the present, they are only available in the store as I have no way to keep them frozen in transit. I need to find out how Peter Brehm does it.

mine looks similar, only all over the table... and my friend who is doing the carmenere said he came home from the office today to an unhappy wife sopping up the foam... seems these are fairly vigorous fermenters.

So at 11 pm, last night, I got scared, so I decided to drive to the store to see if I had a mess to clean up. Here is what I found:

20070502_180545_DSCN4723.jpg

20070502_180642_DSCN4724.jpg

It looked like the foaming issue is only related to the reds, but to be on the safe side, here is what I did.

20070502_180845_DSCN4725.jpg

This is a picture from this morning. They wound up inside of 7.9 gallon buckets, anyway. As you can see, I would have had a major mess if I had not done this.

I would have to advise you to NOT use the 6.5 gallon bucket for any wine kit.

BTW, they smelled wonderful and were still fizzing away when I left this evening.

appleman,

Obviously I read your mind!Edited by: geocorn

On Monday I picked up a Mosti Mondiale Carmenere fresh must and transferred the juice to my 7.9 gallon primary (I don’t always follow instructions). For those interested, the specifics of the Must were as follows:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

SG = 1.092
TA = 0.085% (Accuvin) and 0.083% (titration using pH meter to determine end point)
pH = 3.7 (Accuvin) and 3.6 (pH meter)
Free SO2 = 4ppm (Accuvin)
Malic Acid = 300 mg/L (Accuvin)
Lactic acid &lt; 10 mg/L (Accuvin)

Since grapes do not produce lactic acid, the lactic acid at this point is actually zero, the lowest reading on the Accuvin color chart is 10 for this test.

On Tuesday there was about 1 to 1½ inches of foam.

Today the surface was clear of foam and SG was 1.042.

Wow, Sounds like Mosti needs to send them in a 7.9 bucket! Joseph, Im
not to familiar with what the #'s should be, are those good #'s ?

As of 5 pm today, CST, the temperature of the musts were around 80 degrees and the S.G. are

Merlot - 1.015
Cab Sauvignon - 1.040
Chardonnay - 1.040
Sauvignon Blanc - 1.030
Sauvignon Blanc - 1.030

Wines are fizzing away and producing a terrific aroma. Will probably rack to glass carboys tomorrow.

Don't know why the big difference in S.G. between the 2 reds.

My landlord just stopped by and commented on the amount of aroma. He thinks they are starting to smell really good.

Wade, the numbers look pretty good although the TA is near the top of the range for a red wine. After fermentation, I will test and taste to see if the wine is too tart from the acidity and consider my options at that time.

Thanks Joseph and I have alot of learning to do on this info. My next
order from George will include some books. Would you be as kind as to
recommend 2 of his best books.

Edited by: wade

geocorn said:
My landlord just stopped by and commented on the amount of aroma. He thinks they are starting to smell really good.

I guess that's his way of saying he wants a little something extra at the end of the month - like a few bottles of the great smelling stuff!

Peter Brehm does not innoculate his batches with yeast, and freezes the buckets to -30, and also ships in reefer trucks. When they arrive, typically, they take about 2 to 3 days to thaw. It works out well, as you get a cold extened masceration. Only the whites ship as juice, but the reds are really just frozen pails of crushed grapes. The only thing they do there is analyze the must, and make acid balance adjustments.

He is rather picky and has been luke warm to my home made wines, so far. He is a tough sell, so he has become my guinea pig. When I make something he really likes, I think I will be on to something.

Latest posts

Back