Fresh Chilean juice just arrived, on a U-Haul and banged up...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your right, grape wines have a much different maturation timeline then kits. Lots more going on in grape wines. I’m not able to tell the difference MLF makes w/o a direct side by side comparison. I just trust the process.
My spring Chilean is at the same exact point as yours. You used pretty strong yeast and Malo bacteria. Not sure when malo was added to frozen must- but I know the juice pail likely finished quickly. Id bet they are all finished tho. No way to know for sure without testing.
Can’t go by taste because it’s hard to decipher what’s what right now. At least for me. But if you were to rack it off the sediment, introducing some O2 in the process that will blow off some of the roughness. Add so2 and put to bed. After 3 months you’ll see what the fuss is about for grape wines. And everything will start falling into place.

Your right, grape wines have a much different maturation timeline then kits. Lots more going on in grape wines. I’m not able to tell the difference MLF makes w/o a direct side by side comparison. I just trust the process.
My spring Chilean is at the same exact point as yours. You used pretty strong yeast and Malo bacteria. Not sure when malo was added to frozen must- but I know the juice pail likely finished quickly. Id bet they are all finished tho. No way to know for sure without testing.
Can’t go by taste because it’s hard to decipher what’s what right now. At least for me. But if you were to rack it off the sediment, introducing some O2 in the process that will blow off some of the roughness. Add so2 and put to bed. After 3 months you’ll see what the fuss is about for grape wines. And everything will start falling into place.

I really hope that in a few months I start to see what the fuss is about for grape wines! I've had lots of positive feedback from the high end kits I've done, and hope that the extra work for fresh grapes turns out at least as good.

Latest posts

Back