Other Freezing juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Hello all,
If you buy juice buckets and they are not frozen, can you freeze them wit no ill effects to the juice? Last year I got lucky and got the last 2 buckets that the store had. This year I would like to get a few buckets early but might not be able to get to them right away. Just a thought.-Bruce

How long are you talking? I don't think you need to freeze them but can you keep them between 28*-40*. Colder the better. This will keep the wine from fermenting, also ensure the sulfate levels are up.

Hey Dan
Thanks for the reply. Not really sure how long. Not to long though. I know that the market that has the buckets has them now and I would like to get a few before they run out. I bought 2 buckets last year and they were the last 2. 1 merlot and 1 Cab Sauv. The Cab started to ferment in the bucket before I got it home and I was never able to ferment it to dry after I killed the natural yeast and put my own.(the merlot came out good). I dont know if the natural fermentation had anything to do with that but I dont want to take a chance. Thats why I wanted to freeze them, so the buckets would not self ferment.- Bruce

Hey Dan
Thanks for the reply. Not really sure how long. Not to long though. I know that the market that has the buckets has them now and I would like to get a few before they run out. I bought 2 buckets last year and they were the last 2. 1 merlot and 1 Cab Sauv. The Cab started to ferment in the bucket before I got it home and I was never able to ferment it to dry after I killed the natural yeast and put my own.(the merlot came out good). I dont know if the natural fermentation had anything to do with that but I dont want to take a chance. Thats why I wanted to freeze them, so the buckets would not self ferment.- Bruce

Hi lieu,

Not sure where you were buying your juice buckets but I don't think that was natural yeast. The juice buckets that I get are inoculated with Lavlin 1118 and I think most other vendors are doing the same thing. Ask where you get the juice buckets if yeast has been added. Actually on the side of the bucket it would probably say.

I also get mine from the same place as Julie. When I got my Calif juice this year the pails were busting at the seams with them little yeasties wanting to eat. If the lids aren't buldging yet on the pails, I would chill them down asap. When you're ready, bring the pails out of the cooler and remove the lids for a day to bring to room temperature. Then make a yeast starter with your preferred yeast and some GoFerm. If yeast was added, your starter will become the dominate yeast.
Because mine was already bursting to go, I just let 'er rip!

Hey Julie,
I will check the buckets when I get home (at work tonight) but I didnt think that there was any yeast added. They are the Regina Buckets.

Lieu,

I believe that is what Consumers, on the strip in Pittsburgh sell and on the side of their bucket that i got from them a year ago, it said yeast was added.

Hey Julie,
I checked the side of the bucket this am and it says Ingredients: grape juice, sulfur dioxide and possibly citric acid. I don't see anywhere where it says anything about yeast. I guess that's a good thing (or not a bad thing) because now I can add the type of yeast I want.-Bruce

LOL, well I guess it depends on which way you look at if it is a good or bad thing. I would proceed as Runningwold described above, make a starter and GoFerm

Latest posts

Back