Flavor Pack for Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CEW, I am sure that someone will be able to give you a better answer because I have only used the Vintner's Harvest fruit bases in the primary fermentation to enhance a particular fruit flavor in a grape wine. For example, I just made a Barolo to which I added a can of VH Blackberry fruit base to give the wine a more pronounced blackberry undertone.

Since you are fermenting to dry and then back sweetening, if it were I, I would get the base, strain it to capture as much free run juice as possible and then squeeze the fruit as thoroughly as possible to extract all the juice possible. You could take the SG of this juice which will be very high and then calculate how much sugar is in the volume of juice that you have. I, however, am more of the Edisonian ("Trial and Error" or "Hunt and Try") school. I would start by adding a measured amount of the concentrated juice to about a gallon of the wine and take the SG. You are probably looking for something in the SG 1.015 -1.020 range, maybe more. When I reach that level in the gallon, I would scale up the addition to the remaining 4 gallons.

Is this the same purpose as the liquid flavorings sold in wine stores? Also, if I am going to use an F-pack, what stage is best? I am assuming after sorbate but prior to clearing agent. I imagine you only want to use a product like sparkalloid once?

Is this the same purpose as the liquid flavorings sold in wine stores? Also, if I am going to use an F-pack, what stage is best? I am assuming after sorbate but prior to clearing agent. I imagine you only want to use a product like sparkalloid once?

Correct - you want to add this after you have stabilized - give it a few days - then you can sweeten and/or add an fpac and add in the clearing agent....

Well my strawberry wine is at .994, I got 5 lbs of strawberries and 5 lbs of sugar. Im not going to add all the sugar and see how it turns out.

My flavor pack turned out very nice, I siphoned some of the wine out, put it in a glass and put a little of that flavor pack in it and it was very good

Yea I had the 5 lbs in the pot heating up and I had to watch it because every time I turned around my wife was trying to eat my strawberries

Might sound a little strange but when I back sweetened a batch of Strawberry wine I used store bought Hershey's strawberry syrup.

It is just strawberry flavored sugar. Is very clear and sweetened just fine.

I measured out a few separate cups of the unsweetened wine and added teaspoon at a time until it tasted as sweet as we wanted.

Then did a little math to figure out the per gallon ratio.

My wife had the overall decision, once she liked it, that was where we stopped.

I will admit it was more guess work than scientific, but was an enjoyable experience figuring it out!

It give it a definite strawberry flavor with out being to overly sweet.

Best part was that it is so clear that it didn't make the wine cloudy at all.

Yea, I wish I would have thought of that. The way I did it made my wine cloudy, and with a lot more sediment.

This is my strawberry muscadine. I back sweetened to about 1.01 last week and then used the strawberry syrup for finish sweetening and flavor, and added 2 tsp of strawberry extract for aroma. Worked like a charm. My wife even likes it and she is a tough cookie. Very tasty for a young wine. I can't wait to see what 6 months does to it. I bottled half in 750mL bottles and the other in 375mL so I could taste in a few months and see the flavor differences. I would be excited if the alcohol flavor exited stage left. My next strawberry I will definitely start with a lower SG.

2012-10-28_20-34-59_326.jpg

Latest posts

Back