Flavor Pack for Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireWine

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe/ know how on how to make a flavor pack for my strawberry wine? I want it to be sweet with a good strawberry taste. Can anyone help me?

For mine I took two pounds of frozen strawberries and cut them up after thawing. Simmered them in a pot with a cup of water and two cups of sugar. After it had broken down I then strained the juice off and put it into a container to cool down (or into the fridge) then when I needed to add my f-pack it had the flavor and the added sweetner. Good Luck!

Or if you don't have extra strawberries around,, you might want to get a frozen grape/strawberry consentrate and use that (thawed)

Thank you for your help

How many #'s of fruit did you start with?

You want to get 30% of the original amount. Cut/core and freeze - a good freeze 3-4 days in the deep freeze.

Let thaw in a mesh bag in a bucket - once completely thawed - squeeze the bag a few times and discard.

Sweeten this with the amount of sugar needed to sweeten your entire batch - warm to dissolve sugar - then stir into your carboy.

How do I know how much sugar to add to my flavor pack? You said add enough sugar to sweeten the whole batch.

Wouldn't adding juice from the fruit make any clear wine cloudy and result in more sediment forming? How long do you need to wait before bottling after sweetening with a "flavor pack"? Also would you add pectic enzyme to the fruit to help it break down?

Wouldn't adding juice from the fruit make any clear wine cloudy and result in more sediment forming?

yes it would

How long do you need to wait before bottling after sweetening with a "flavor pack"?

like most of them wait till it clears and drops no more sediment

Also would you add pectic enzyme to the fruit to help it break down?

its not totally necessary, especially if you are going to simmer the berries anyway the heat will help break them down

Starting s.g 1.086

Now at 1.000

I want it to be fairly sweet with a decent strawberry flavor.

Hoping it to get down to .994

Starting s.g 1.086

Now at 1.000

I want it to be fairly sweet with a decent strawberry flavor.

Hoping it to get down to .994

Let's wait until it is finished - so we can get an accurate ending SG.

Sweet is 1.020 - 1.030
Dessert Sweet is 1.030 - 1.040

So as an example - if you ending SG is .994 - amount of sugar to get to 1.025 for 6 gallons is 4.37#'s of sugar..

Wouldn't adding juice from the fruit make any clear wine cloudy and result in more sediment forming? How long do you need to wait before bottling after sweetening with a "flavor pack"? Also would you add pectic enzyme to the fruit to help it break down?

Yes it will cloud the wine - which is why i do this more up front when the wine is not clear.

I don't add pectic anymore on the strawberries - i find that freeze/thawing out produces enough juice by itself.

Strawberry takes a while to clear - so when you think it is clear - wait another 3-4 months - i guarantee you will seed tiny seed fragments fall out..

CEW, another alternative that you have which is more costly but requires less work and, I think, give a better product is to get a can of Vintner's Harvest Strawberry fruit base which come in a 96. oz can. It is all juice and strawberries. I have had good success in using this to enhance fruit flavors.

I used 2 cans of frozen Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiri Mixers and 1/2 cup of sugar to add flavor and sweeten my 3 gallon batch of Strawberry Niagara. Worked great!

Rocky said:
CEW, another alternative that you have which is more costly but requires less work and, I think, give a better product is to get a can of Vintner's Harvest Strawberry fruit base which come in a 96. oz can. It is all juice and strawberries. I have had good success in using this to enhance fruit flavors.

Rocky I've heard of that product, how much did you add for five gallons?

Latest posts

Back